1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by robbo, Jun 29, 2012.

1. robbo

robbo New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2012
    uk london
    hi all, im ian from england this looks like a great site hopefully i can pick up some good hints and tips on here as im a newbie to the photography world. I got a olympus epl1 double kit lens plus i have old pentax 50 mm f1.4 prime to play with thanks all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Welcome to the world of :43:. A few pieces of information that I'm always curious about with new members are:
    1. what types of cameras did you use before you bought your E-PL1?
    2. what types of things things do you anticipate shooting?
    3. what made you choose :43:?
    If you're looking for good, basic advice to get started, [post=67801]this post[/post] is a really great read.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome, Robbo!

4. robbo

robbo New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2012
    uk london
    Im open minded when it comes to shooting i quite like portrait and street photograthy. Ive had point and shoots before and i have some nice old 35mm slrs i also have at the moment a 350 d with loads of lenses battery grip etc but for me its just a bit on the large side. So it became a decision between the canon g12 point a shoot or the epl1 i went for the epl1 because of the lenses etc and got it for a great price

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure I'd describe you as "a newbie to the photography world" if you've got more than one "nice old SLR" and you're coming from a "350 D with loads of lenses". Seems like you're sandbagging a bit. :wink:

I think you'll find that the E-PL1 is the equal to your DSLR in all but a very few situations (e.g. fast sports), and that it doesn't weigh you down nearly as much. I truly feel that :43: represents the "sweet spot" between size and performance. Hopefully you'll feel the same way.

Once you get comfortable with your new kit and have some images you're proud of, please don't forget to share them here.

6. robbo

robbo New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2012
    uk london
    Im defanatly a newbie the 350 d was handed down to my wife i think we only used it once or twice might trade it in for some kit for the oly. The 35mm slrs that i have are just for collection i love the old 70s and 80s slrs with the old school glass they look brilliant.

7. TDP

TDP Guest

Enjoy! And don't forget to post some of your shots.

8. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    The cool thing is you can use that old glass on the mu43

9. robbo

robbo New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2012
    uk london
    I love using my pentax k f1.4 50mm lens, works nice for portrait