1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Newbie. well oldie- LR settings for Sharpening/NR

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Imjinman, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Hi

I am getting back into photography, many years after using an old Pentax KM when all you had to worry about, from a technical point of view, was Speed/Aperture/the 'needle' and Focus. Film ISO being predetermined

I now have an EM1 and am shooting RAW. I have a couple of questions around LR5.4

As a basic preset import I am setting as Camera Natural

Sharpness: I have my EM1 setting to -1 as I want to use LR. What do people use as a starting point for Sharpness ie using a preset import? Currently mine is set at 52.

Noise Reduction: I have Noise Reduction Off and Noise filter Low on my EM1. Again, what do people use as as starting point (colour/luminance)? I appreciate that this is dependent on ISO setting...and I will show my age. With old 100 film there was no grain and 800 a lot. In a similar way if I have an ISO 200 setting, should I be thinking about adding NR in LR at all? Or what would people recommend? And then I can adjust from there in LR for higher ISO shot pics.

Many thanks!

BC

2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    depends on the lens, the intention of the picture, the actual texture and features of the picture, ISO, etc

sharpness units in LR5.x is anywhere from 30-60... usually around 40 points.
    nr is around 25. color and luminance just left at default - dont see much change. at higher ISO and esp with B&W conversion i actually add uniform fine 'grain' after the de-noise

camera-natural calibration

in-camera sharpness is +2 for jpeg preview