1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newbie w/ some EPL1 questions.....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Shutterdad, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I received my EPL1 from Cameta this morning and I have charged my battery and formatted a SD card and ready to start playing with my new toy. I feel like a little kid on a Christmas morning!

First question I have is.... When the camera is on how long does it take for the Lcd to go to sleep to conserve the battery? And is there a way to set it for a shorter time if so?

Thanks in advance. BTW, I am reading the manual just haven't found the answer yet.

2. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Hi

Yes it can be set in the 2 sprocket menu which you need to activate first in the menu section showing the wrench.

I hope this helps.

3. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    Thanks. It appears that it can be set to go into sleep mode after 1 min. of no use.

4. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    What's "your" perferred metering mode? ESP, center-weighted,or spot?

Back in my early Oly days with my little E410 & 510 it would blowout the highlights if you didn't compensate for it. Didn't have that issue with the E1.

Just looking for tips on the best way on setting up the EPL-1.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Make sure you turn on the Super Control Panel (p81).

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you don't see the Sprockets menu, then first go to Setup => Wrench => Menu Display and turn the Sprockets ON.

In order to access your shooting options quickly go to Setup => Sprockets => Disp/PC => Control Settings and for every mode turn Live Guide and Live Control to OFF, then turn SCP (Super Control Panel) to ON in every mode.
    When you return to shooting, you will then be able to press OK and get a one-screen quick menu of all your essential shooting options. If another menu pops up (ie, like Remote Commander, Art, or Scene menus) then just press INFO and it'll cycle you back to SCP.

If you want sharper images, then go to Setup => Sprockets => Color/WB => Noise Filter and set that to OFF.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    Thanks! And I thought that I had to dive deep into the menus on my E410! :rofl:

8. MDM

MDM New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2010
    Western North Carolina
    I like the E-PL1 as well but have been a little bit disappointed regarding noise found in deep shadows even at the recommended iso level of 200. I prefer details over the noise but would also like to know what other experienced users are doing with settings. I recently started experimenting with the noise reduction and filter set to off since I suspect that there is some noise suppression going on with jpegs even with those at off.

9. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Hadn't heard of this one before. Thanks!

10. FloridaPhil

FloridaPhil Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 22, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    I found the Dummies Guide to the E-PL1 to be very useful and well worth the investment.

Enjoy your new camera. Bargain of the year!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I have heard of the Dummies Guide for the EPL-1, but haven't looked in to it. Once I get familiar with the menus life will be easier. Thanks

12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I posted this link a few times here, what's one more time:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFFkZot24I]An In-Depth Look at the Olympus Pen Camera System with Wireless Flash - YouTube[/ame]

13. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
  14. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
  15. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
  16. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    Lately I've been very busy at work and haven't had that much time to get out and play with my new camera. I went out this morning, before it gets to a 100+ degrees today, and determined that I may have dust on sensor. What's the perfered method of getting rid of this? Rocket Blower or swab?

17. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
  18. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    How do you know if the dust reduction feature is working? When I owned a Olympus 4/3rds camera it would vibrate when turned on. Does the EPL1 supposed to vibrate?

19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The SSWF filter vibrates, but you didn't feel the vibrations on 4/3 or m4/3 (there is IS vibration when you turned OFF the 4/3 camera if you had IS on).

Older cameras had an SSWF light which I miss...at least on m4/3 they SHOULD display the SSWF status on the monitor.

Guess if the SSWF isn't working hoping they display an error message.

20. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    Yeah that little blue light was handy. Thanks