Newbie to the site (and m4/3 format) from the SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Cliff3, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Cliff3

Cliff3 New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    This is the appropriate place for my first post, so greetings to all.

I am in the process of converting from Nikon FX to m4/3rds. I am doing this partly to unlock some of the wealth I have invested in lenses and such (~$13k by my estimate of current used prices) and partly to downsize my kit into something that is a more practical companion for every day photography. Micro 4/3rds and mirrorless seems to have matured to the point where these systems offer a compelling alternative to the DSLR systems from Nikon and Canon. I was hoping that Nikon would produce a decent mirrorless system of their own that I could leverage with my existing Nikon system equipment, but nope. So buh bye Nikon...

And hello Olympus, specifically an EM-5 to replace an exceptionally competent D700 that I've been shooting with for the past 4 years. At this point I just have the 12-50 kit lens, augmented with Panasonic's 35-100 zoom. I have added the FL-600R flash, the Oly grip is coming today, and a RRS universal camera plate. I'll shoot with this setup for a while to see what it reveals about any additional needs I may have that can be satisfied by the currently available lenses on the market. I suspect the Panasonic 7-14 will be very high on my list as I currently use a Nikon 14-24.

I've been shooting digital since I bought a Kodak DC50 back in 1997. I bought my first DSLR in 2003 when Nikon dropped the price of the D100 to $1500. It was replaced with a D2X, and now the D700. I bought my first Nikon camera, an FE, in 1981. I have been shooting a lot of motorsports in the last few years, mostly the autocross events that the local BMW chapter organizes. My employment situation has not yet stabilized since the economic collapse in 2008 so I have not been able to take vacation to travel which would normally provide a lot of subject matter for me.
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Welcome to the forum. You know better than I that the Bay area is a cornucopia of fantastic photo ops. All of us on the forum want to see your images from The Bay.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard! :smile:
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome to the forum!

5. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Welcome to the forum!Enjoy your time here!