1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newbie to MFT

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mike Deane, May 16, 2013.

1. Mike Deane

Mike Deane Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2013
    Hi,
    I am a newbie to photography, and own a gf5. So far I have been using IA to take pictures. :redface: I'd like to do more with all its features. Are there online classes and/or webinar to learn to take pictures with it? :confused:
    Thanks.
    Mike

2. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I like creativeLive for most of my lessons... but for basic lessons, I think creativeLIVE would be a bit expensive. There are free lessons that you can do for the basics.

I find Free online photography lessons - photography school - and Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School to be pretty good for learning beyond program mode.

edit: btw, I think this is posted on the wrong spot. (unless you're specifically asking b&h I suppose. If a moderator would move it to the correct section, it would be nice. :))

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    iA on these new cameras can net you some great pictures. It's the image that counts. Eventually, you'll run into a situation iA doesn't handle in a way that suits you and that will push you to learn creative use of aperture and shutter.

That is a good way to learn because really the essence of photography isn't technical mastery -- it's composition. Leave it in iA and work on making great images in terms of composition and you can't really go wrong I don't think.

When your eye develops to "see" things in the final image that iA doesn't give you -- you'll do what you have to, lol. But your composition skills, already honed, will carry you onward in style. Ditto editing skills. Useful to achieve your final image, but of no virtue by themselves.

Welcome! You did post in the wrong spot, but I'm sure the mods will take care of it.

4. Mike Deane

Mike Deane Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks, Abepak and entropicremnants.

I am sorry to have posted in the wrong spot. I looked but was not sure where to post it. I recalled seeing at B&H's webpage that they had classes... Sorry. :redface:

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! Relax, it's cool! We've all done similar things here or there. At least I have, lol. You can call me John. I'd say call me what my friends call me but that's unprintable... :eek:

6. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

Check out our Event Space for presentations and our videos for past workshops and lectures.

7. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    If you sign up at Adorama camera, they have some free online photography classes. It won't teach you about your specific gf5 but it will teach the basics. Once you understand what you want to do, figuring out how to do it with the GF5 should not be as hard.

8. cuervo.taylor

cuervo.taylor Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    read lots of books and take lots of photos my friend, I'm also a photography newb

9. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Lynda.com
    $25/month...good photography courses and much more.