Newbie to m4/3 - Need Portrait Lens Advice

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jmullane, Oct 2, 2012.

1. jmullane

jmullane New to Mu-43

Oct 2, 2012
    I'm brand new to the forum and a brand new m4/3 user. I'm a long time Nikon shooter (film, D200, D300, D7000 progression) that recently sold it all and picked up an OM-D(silver/Black). I purchased the 12-60 package. I also picked up the 40-150 for some reach and the FL600.

I've been assigned the task of taking employee photos for a marketing brochure (over 100 people). We envision a simple chest up shot for each employee with a very simple lighting setup. I'm having a hard time deciding on a prime for the shoot. I'll have a simple background and about 10-12 feet of space to work in. I'm thinking the Oly 45 but the 2x factor has me a little confused as to the best choice. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

2. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    The 45/1.8 is a fine portrait lens but do you really need it for the employee photos? At the aperture you'll be working, the lenses you have will do a perfectly good job.
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    The 45mm is a great lens to have anyway, so why not.
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The 45mm 1.8 is the right lens (90mm FOV on FF and 60mm FOV on APSC). You don't need it for this type of job. But you'll certainly enjoy it. So I'm for getting it, especially if your job may assist in the purchase as it's going to be used as a work camera.

5. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    While, as others have said, the 2 lenses you have will do an adequate job, what they will not do is blur out the background like the 45mm f/1.8 will.

Since you only have 1 flash and assuming you are going to be shooting inside, I suggest you place the subjects about 4 to 6 feet from the (hopefully) neutral background if possible. Try to find a north facing window and use your flash in a umbrella or softbox at minus 1 to 2 stops FEC. Place the umbrella slightly above the subjects head pointing down and at a 30 degree or so angle off camera axis opposite from the window. Slow down the shutter speed a bit to pick up some of the ambient light. If you have a white reflector place it on the floor or on a desk in front of the subjects, below the camera angle. The reflected light will help eliminate the shadows under the nose, bags in the eyes, etc. In essence, you have turned 1 light into 3 with this setup.

While this setup will product acceptable corporate shots, they will be somewhat boring. But the photos will be very sharp with the 45mm and the colors will pop. If you background is reversible, try the dark side for light color clothes or skin and the light side for dark clothes. Other options you might try are to shot outside under trees or in shade on green grass, in the factory with natural light (if there is some) or some place where the background will will improve the shot. But in any case, IMHO, the 45 f/1.8 will do a much better job of this than your 2 zooms.