Newbie tips for using old manual lens with E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Adamatic, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Adamatic

Adamatic New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2011

I am a rookie when it comes to using an old manual lens with my EPL2. A friend gave me a Helios 44 lens that uses the M42 mount. I have a few questions:

1. Can you recommend an affordable lens adapter to purchase? I have tried to research, however, I don't understand whether aluminium or steel is better and how to assess which is the most compatible for the EPL2.

2. What are some of the basic tips when operating the EPL2 when using a manual lens?

Thanks a lot for any tips or advice! :biggrin:
  2. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I purchased a Rainbow Imaging adapter for my E-PL2 for my Minolta lens. It works perfectly with none of the issues I have read about. It cost about $25 from Amazon.

You can do it a couple of ways and others will have their opinions.

I set my camera on Aperture priority and set the aperture on the lens, manually focus and shoot away. It works well. You want to zoom to focus and some say to open the lens all the way up to focus and then set the aperture to what you need according to the situation and camera settings.

But in aperture priority mode the camera will set the other settings for you.

Those are the things I've done.

Best of luck,

3. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Check the sticky at the top of the adapted lens forum page. Lots of good info there.

As for adapters I have a fotodiox m43 to m42 adapter I use with my helios and it is well constructed at a good price. Check eBay for them.
  4. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    One thing is that I actually use P mode rather than A mode with manual lenses, as this allows you to use the control dial for exposure compensation rather than it being completely useless as in A mode.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, this is what I do as well. Program Mode with a manual lens is the equivalent of Aperture Priority with a digital lens. Manual and Shutter Priority both do the same thing, but you may not get an exposure meter on Aperture Priority.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

+1 on shooting in Program mode.

Train your thumb to find the zoom frame button (the one with the magnifying glass on it) to zoom in and check your focus. The Info button will let you choose the level of zoom (7x, 10x, 14x). This is only display zoom, by the way; you aren't actually applying digital zoom to the image capture.

And I'm a huge fan of the VF-2 viewfinder.

The Helios-44 is a wonderful lens - have fun!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Adamatic

Adamatic New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your comments! I was thinking about picking up a lens hood for the helios, but it says the filter mount size is "M49x0.75"....Does that mean 49mm?
  8. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Yes the 0.75 is the thread pitch.
  9. Adamatic

Adamatic New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2011
    Thanks a lot!