Newbie ring flash question

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I'm a complete novice when it comes to flash. I'm looking for a ring flash, a true flash, not LED constant light. I see that Yongneu has one for Canon that everyone seems to like, about $115. Does anyone know of one that will work with my OMD-5 without breaking the bank? Sigma has a great one, but it's still $300+.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
not my area of knowledge, I use a Paul Buff ABR800. ...but that is not the right tool for what you're looking for.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I'm a complete novice when it comes to flash. I'm looking for a ring flash, a true flash, not LED constant light. I see that Yongneu has one for Canon that everyone seems to like, about $115. Does anyone know of one that will work with my OMD-5 without breaking the bank? Sigma has a great one, but it's still $300+.
The middle pin should always work in manual mode, but if you're paranoid you could always get the YN-14M which is a full manual, single pin only version.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Sorry, but I need you to explain that.
Originally flashes just had the single firing pin in the middle, and you set everything manually on the flash unit itself. The central firing pin on a flash is always reserved for the 'dumb' trigger purpose (except maybe weird Minolta ones). Unless the flash refuses to work except in electronic TTL mode the central pin should still trigger it. Of course it goes without saying that you lose TTL support in all of this.

Alternatively, the YN-14EX has a traditional PC sync port as well, which would also work. The E-M1 has a PC sync port built in, but for bodies that don't have one, you can get a hot shoe to PC sync adaptor. Just put the YN-14EX in a cold shoe on top of the adaptor and trigger it using the PC sync cord.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom