Newbie ring flash question

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by fsuscotphoto, Dec 6, 2014.

1. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'm a complete novice when it comes to flash. I'm looking for a ring flash, a true flash, not LED constant light. I see that Yongneu has one for Canon that everyone seems to like, about $115. Does anyone know of one that will work with my OMD-5 without breaking the bank? Sigma has a great one, but it's still $300+.

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    What are you doing with it? macro or portrait?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It would help to provide a link to the flash in question, so that readers don't have to go searching.

4. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
  5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    not my area of knowledge, I use a Paul Buff ABR800. ...but that is not the right tool for what you're looking for.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The middle pin should always work in manual mode, but if you're paranoid you could always get the YN-14M which is a full manual, single pin only version.

7. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Sorry, but I need you to explain that.

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Originally flashes just had the single firing pin in the middle, and you set everything manually on the flash unit itself. The central firing pin on a flash is always reserved for the 'dumb' trigger purpose (except maybe weird Minolta ones). Unless the flash refuses to work except in electronic TTL mode the central pin should still trigger it. Of course it goes without saying that you lose TTL support in all of this.

Alternatively, the YN-14EX has a traditional PC sync port as well, which would also work. The E-M1 has a PC sync port built in, but for bodies that don't have one, you can get a hot shoe to PC sync adaptor. Just put the YN-14EX in a cold shoe on top of the adaptor and trigger it using the PC sync cord.