1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newbie requiring help re filters

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yackers1, Jun 30, 2011.

1. yackers1

yackers1 New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2011
    East of England
    Hi guys

I have a 77mm ND fader (which I use on my DSLR) and want to use it on my EPL1 when I go travelling. The issue I have is that I cannot find a 40.5mm - 77mm step up ring to allow me to do this.

The largest step upring I have found is 40.5mm to 52mm. So, is it possible to use a 40.5mm - 52mm and then stack a 52mm - 77mm and use th ND fader that way? Or, does anyone know where I can get the step up ring I am after?

I don't really want to buy another ND fader. Cheers inadvance.

2. Yes you can stack step-up rings, but keep in mind that a 77mm filter is quite a heavy piece of glass, and when you mention a 40.5mm filter diameter I assume you are using the MkI M Zuiko 14-42mm. This is not an internally focusing lens so during focus the front lens element both extends and rotates, including any filter that is attached to it. Also, the further away you place a filter from the lens the more likely it is that any dust, fingerprints, etc. that may get stuck to the filter will start to effect image quality, particularly at wide angles.