Newbie questions on filters and memory

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oldskoolboarder, Jul 20, 2010.

1. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Just got mine last night. I'm in 'demo' mode to see if this camera works for me. I wanted to upgrade from my Canon SD770 for my upcoming trip to Machu Picchu. I've been playing w/ the iPhone 4 and Hipstamatic and loved some of the results so I thought it would be fun to upgrade.

VERY impressed w/ the colors captured. I've had trouble capturing one of the colors in our newly remodeled house and this camera did on the first shot.

I'm playing now w/ the some of the filters and have 2 questions that don't seem obvious from the manual.

1) For the Diorama filter, where is the focus field in the LCD screen? I'm trying to pick scenes to take advantage of the filter but can't seem to place the focus area in just the right spot.

2) Is there a way to take a B&W photo in macro mode? I can take each separately but when I go to Macro mode, I don't have a way to set the Picture mode.

3) I'm repurposing some of my 16GB Class 6 cards for this camera. Wondering if it's worth it to go for Class 10? I will take vids, one of the main reasons for this camera vs the Canon G11 was because of the 720p.

Thanks for bearing w/ me, I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions over the next few days.

2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The Scene modes and Art Filters will generally provide pre-set automated functions. They cannot work if you can override them. The lack of an AF zone would be due to the inability to override that setting in that mode.

Class 6 cards are recommend for movie mode. Class 10 will be fine. I have used my E-P1 with both Class 2 and Class 6 cards and I didn't have probelms with the Class 2 cards. In practice, write times are a little faster with Class 6 cards and that frees up the camera faster when shooting continuous and with RAW.

Cheers

PeterB666

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    So what does the macro mode actually do on these e-p* cameras anyways... I'm under the impression it doesn't actually "macro" anything right? does it just change the colour and lighting settings to help - if you had a macro lens?

As for the SD cards, I can record videos on my no-class card so I doubt class 6 will be a problem.

4. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    prix photographe mariage

Scene modes and Art Filters will generally provide pre-set automated functions and Class 6 cards are recommend for movie mode. Class 10 will be fine.

5. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    So what I'm gathering is that there's no way to create a macro B&W from the camera itself. Sounds like I'd have to do a macro and post process it to B&W. Correct?

Thanks for the SDHC clarification. I was researching another camera that required Class 10 for vids but that might have been for 1080p support.

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I prefer to shoot in RAW and postprocess for b&w. You can also apply the art filters in pp using Oly Viewer 2 if you shoot RAW.

7. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    As far as I know, you can't create a B&W macro in the macro scene mode, but you can change the camera's picture mode to monotone, then shoot a macro the usual way.