Newbie question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Muggie, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    My father has two old lenses he used on his Russian built Zenit 3 (or 3M maybe?) back in the 1960s.

A Zeniton (made in Japan); Telephoto f=135 mm1:3.5; No M10858 and a

Focal (made in ?); f=35 mm; 1:2.8; No. 74116; screw mount

Would I be able to use either of these on my Gf1 with an adaptor?
    If yes, which adapter do I need to look at and would it be worth it for these lenses?

Many thanks!

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, both will work. You need an M39 to Micro 4/3 adapter. There are plenty on Ebay. I bought one from jinfinance, and it works very well. You can get one from him here.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    You need to determine if the lenses are 39mm or 42mm screw mounts. 42mm is easy, same as Pentax. The 39mm Russian SLR mount is unique, may be hard to do. You would need to buy a Leica 39mm to u4/3 adapter, and then get an extension tube.

If they are 39mm mount, It would be easier to buy M42 mount lenses, or another type of manual focus lens.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Oops, I stand corrected :redface:. Thanks for stepping in, Brian!

5. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Thanks gentlemen... further idiot question... :confused: how do we determine what the diameter of the screw mount is? Is it likely to be indicated on the lens or do I have to send him on an errand to a camera store or ???? (sorry he is in Canada so this parasite is busy info gathering and will pick up any worthwhile booty on a visit home this summer) :redface:

6. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Unless the lenses are unusable, they are worthwhile picking up. Measuring the diameter difference between 39mm and 42mm- with calipers, easy. With a ruler, do-able. If they are later 60s, I suspect they are 42mm.

Can he send you a picture of them?

7. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Well my father finally sent photos of the two lenses. At first he thought they were 39mm but he did a more precise measure of the screws and is pretty sure now that they are 42mm. So I guess I have two questions... what adapter would I need and is it worth it given that I don't have an in body stabilizer on the Gf1?

[​IMG]

Focal lens
    [​IMG]

Zeniton lens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    It shoiuld be noted that there are 3 different 39mm thread mounts and two different 42mm thread mounts. When testing the fit, never force anything.

The three 39mm mounts are:

LTM (Leica Thread Mount) - 39mm x 26 threads per inch. Used by Leica in all their thread mount bodies and by almost all Japanese Leica copies.

M39 RF mount - 39mm x 1mm pitch. Used by many of the earlier FSU (Former Soviet Union) Leica copies. It has the same register (film-to-flange) distance as LTM. When machining tolerances are loose and there are few threads M39 lenses may fit LTM cameras well enough.

M39 SLR mount - 39mm x 1mm pitch. Used by early Zenit SLRs. This mount has the same register as the Pentax/Practica M42 mount. Adapters are made to allow M39 SLR lenses to be mounted on M42 bodies and M42 mount adapters for other mounts.

The two 42mm mounts are:

Pentax/Practika/M42 - 42mm x 1mm pitch. This is the common SLR thread mount used by many brands.

T-Mount - 42mm x 0.75mm pitch. This is NOT a camera mount. It is the thread used to attached interchangable mounts. It was very popular in the 60s for lenses that didn't have automatic diaphrams. Most T-mount lenses were preset lenses (one f/stop ring that served as a limiter pluse one ring attached to the iris that adjusted from max aperture to whatever aperture was set on the stop ring; often this second ring is marked O-C for Open/Close). The OPs 135mm lens is a pre-set lens.

The OP should examine the lenses very closely to be sure that they are M42 and not T-mount, particularily the 135mm.

Also, according to descriptions I could find, both the Zenit 3 and 3M used the M39 SLR mount. If the illustrated 135mm lens is a T-mount lens it lacks the mount adapter. The pic of the 35mm lens is not clear enough to tell for certain, but it could be a T-mount lens with the mount adapter attached. If these are T-mount lenses they could be adapted to :43: directly with an :43: T-mount (these are available from several sources, one of which it Fotodiox). They could also be adapted by attaching any other T-mount plus an appropriate :43: adapter (e.g. Nikon T-mount plus Nikon-to-:43: mount adapter).

If the Zenit lenses fixed M39 SLR mount lenses to best adaptation would be an M39-to-M42 adapter plus an M42-to-:43: mount adapter.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    actually seriously doubt they are worth the hassle - not exactly top notch world renowned brand names. you can probably do better checking out local camera stores - slow 35mm and 135mm's from oly, nikon, canon etc shouldn't be that expensive, and any adaptors you buy for those will still work if you get better lenses.

K

10. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Further info emailed to me by my dad below... don't know if it changes the opinions or not :confused: but more info is usually good.:rolleyes:

"Both lenses have 42 mm diameter male screw ends. I made an error earlier when I said they were 39 mm diameter.

The following is what is written on each lens:

1. ZENITON TELEPHOTO 1:3.5 f=135 mm No M10858 the screw end has "LENS MADE IN JAPAN" printed on it

Much of the lens looks similar to the lens shown on this web page (Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Zeniton 135mm f3.5 telephoto) except that the screw end is black with no ribbed silvery ring as in the web page picture.

Since ZENITON lenses were apparently made in Russia, the screw end on mine (labelled "LENS MADE IN JAPAN") may not be the original screw mount.

2. FOCAL 1:2.8 f=35 mm 46Æ No. 74116
    (The last part of the lens info "46Æ" is "46" followed by the Greek letter "Phi" - which is an O with a diagonal slash through it) and the body is labelled "MADE IN JAPAN"

Hope that helps"

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the 46 "phi" probably is the front filter size.

If they are a 42mm mount then its probably worth getting a cheap M42 to Micro4/3 adapter. You could also us that for any old Pentax lenses you may find

K

• Like Like x 2
  12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The silver part on the lens in the link is a T-mount. This lens is a T-mount lens and has a 42mm 0.75mm pitch thread, which is NOT an M42 mount. The additional mount adapter (silver chrome on the linked lens) is required in order to attach the lens to any body or any adapter. Your 135mm appears to be the same lens and would require the same type of T-mount. You could get a :43: T-mount to attach it directly to a :43: body.

Also, while most were made in the FSU, there were a few "Russian" lenses that where sub-contracted to Japanese manufacturers. The Made-in-Japan is most likely accurate for the lens.

The lenses under discussion are not likely to be particularly great lenses. They may be fun to use, but are not worth much commercially and it would be hard to justify any significant expense in adapting them.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Given my level of experience I am sure these lenses will be good learning tools :wink: plus I am born of a Scotsman (Muggie is my nickname, I was christened Morag) so something free and usable for a 24 Euro investment (thanks for the link Brian) is not bad :biggrin:

Thanks to you all for your thoughts... I am still wondering if longer lenses will be of any use on a camera without built in stabilisation??

15. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

They have been for many generations. Image stabilization for the masses is relatively new. Remember, it is a good tool but not a prerequisite for great photography.

16. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Long lenses are of use without stabilization. They've been used that way for years.

What is much more limiting with the GF-1 is the lack of an eyelevel VF. This can be "corrected" by purchasing the accessory finder. You'll find that handholding a long lens neither stabilization nor an eyelevel VF will be extremely unreliable unless you stick to very high shutter speeds. You need at least one or you need a tripod.

• Like Like x 2
  17. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    As an addenda to my previous post, here is a shot taken yesterday (2006/07/06). I used a SMC Pentax-M 100mm f/4 Macro mounted on my G1 with the help of a Fotodiox K-to-:43: mount adapter. Its been cropped a good bit, perhaps to the FOV of a 200mm on :43: (400mm on 35mm). It was taken handheld in the shade using roughly ISO 400 (400 set on camera but a little boost in ACR).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2