1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

newbie question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by the.devil.himself, May 27, 2012.

1. the.devil.himself

the.devil.himself Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
    what's the difference between raw and jpeg? and which one should i use?

any help would be very much appreciated..

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    RAW captures an unprocessed image along with instructions on camera settings to process it like the camera would, but it still needs to be run through a RAW processor to produce a finished file. Think of it as a digital negative.

JPG is a completed, finished file which is created and processed right in the camera.

RAW will allow you more headroom for editing errors (ie, like adjusting for improper exposure, or changing white balance), whereas JPG will take advantage of the camera's processing algorithms.

If you need to ask what they are, then chances are that you should use JPG. :) Or you can shoot both (RAW + JPG) so you have a finished JPG file which is processed for you, but also a RAW file you can practice processing yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I agree with Ned, shoot RAW+jpeg so you have a finished image to use immediately and a RAW file to practice on.

4. the.devil.himself

the.devil.himself Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
  5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The problem with RAW is you need a relatively newer computer with at least 1 GB of RAM to open and edit a RAW file (because it's a big sized file) with reasonable speed plus an editing program.

I think a novice should learn (via book study and practice) how to get a jpeg looking good straight from the camera to avoid having to work with RAW files altogether. One way to go about this without spending alot of money is to buy an inexpensive, yet very high image quality interchangable camera like the Olympus E-PL1 Amazon.com: Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3MP Live MOS Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens (Black): Camera & Photo and the E-PL1 for Dummies Book Amazon.com: Olympus PEN E-PL1 For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback)) (9780470879504): Julie Adair King: Books If video image quality or ultra compact size is important they you should consider the slightly more expensive Olympus E-PM1.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    RAW should be processable on pretty much any decent computer - I haven't seen any computers with less than 2 gigs of RAM in quite a few years, and I would recommend at least 3, preferably 4 gigs of RAM as a barebones minimum for any machine doing image editing.

The 'getting the JPG right' is decent advice, but applies equally to the RAW - RAW should not be an excuse to get lazy and stop looking at exposure and composition. Get those as dead-on as possible and you've STILL got a lot more room for getting the most out of the image in terms of dynamic range, sharpness, contrast, white balance and so forth in the RAW file.

I always shoot both - often enough, the JPG out of camera will be perfectly adequate for sharing with friends or posting on the web. But pretty much anything I print I process from RAW - even JPG shots that look awesome may look even more awesome after I spend a little time pulling them through my favorite image editing suites...