Newbie question : Which

ndk_photographer

New to Mu-43
I'm new to the group. Long time canon rebel user.

I really like the second generation camera that just came out. My question is the touch screen and using the camera while sea kayaking. Any problems with the screen that someone could share ? Is it safe to use the camera without a waterproof case ? If i need to use a case , any
recommendations . Do i want the screen to fold out or not ? This camera will be mounted in the front of boat (fat gecko) or on a monopad mast using sticky pad .

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't have the new cam but I have kayaked extensively.
A kayak is a wet boat as the water drips down the raised
shaft. At the local zoo I won't take their tour with my gear......

C

ccmsosse

I'm new to the group. Long time canon rebel user.

I really like the second generation camera that just came out. My question is the touch screen and using the camera while sea kayaking. Any problems with the screen that someone could share ? Is it safe to use the camera without a waterproof case ? If i need to use a case , any
recommendations . Do i want the screen to fold out or not ? This camera will be mounted in the front of boat (fat gecko) or on a monopad mast using sticky pad .

Wow - sea kayaking...
Salt Water...
Splashing...
That doesn't sound good at all.
For that I have a Canon G7 and underwater housing.

If I were you I would get a waterproof P+S or a camera with designated housing (could be a lot of $$$). There is one for the GF-1, but that costs as much as the GF1.
Olympus makes housings for some of their cams (not m 4/3).

You can also look at Evva Marine
http://www.ewa-marine.com/

Good Luck

ndk_photographer

New to Mu-43
I've read where some guys don't using a underwater housing (as long a waves aren't too big ) . I been looking at pentax w90 as a possibility. But , i need a longer lens for wildlife (up to 500mm) . where to mount the camera / fat gecko is going to be trial and error. I would think the housing would come down as 43 camera become more popular.

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well one guy I knew in Miami would mount his Mac-10 on
a tripod in front of him on his kayak.... a kayak is wet even
without waves. A canoe, with care, can be kept pretty
dry.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I certainly wouldn't risk a non-waterproof camera in a sea water environment - as Michael says - splashing salt water would kill your camera pretty quickly.

Cheers

Brian

ndk_photographer

New to Mu-43
ok i know i need waterproof housing (i will be using pentax w90 for time being until the camera housing comes down in price ) . what about remote ? Can someone explain what it is able to do and not ? For instance can i turn the camera on and off remotely ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom