1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Newbie M43 Questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jhunter, Jan 16, 2015.

1. jhunter

jhunter New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2015
    Voss,Tx
    Hi,
    I`m new to m43 and the forum. I`ve been reading and researching the m43 format and have a question or two. I use to shoot 35mm awhile back and just lost interest, I`ve been thinking about getting back into photography and like the smaller size of m43. I`ve been looking at different cameras and like the looks of the GX7 but I`m not a professional by any means so I`m not sure I need all the bells and whistles. I saw the GF6 w/14-42 lens on B&H for 350.00 and have read the reviews on it. I know it`s not a GX7 but it still looks like a very capable camera.
    I`ve looked on this site and there isn`t much love for the GF6, I know it doesn`t have an EVF or a hot shoe but those things aren`t huge concerns to me, I shoot mainly nature and scenics so I think I can do without them. Do you think the GF6 would be a good camera to start with and get back into the hobby or do you think there are better options? Thanks for your time.

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I was in the same predicament when I got into M43 last year. You don't need the top of the line, 'bells & whistles' digital camera to get images that will amaze you when you compare digital to film resolution, especially at ISO 500 and higher. I recommend getting an EVF camera because you can deliberately under- or overexpose and see the effect through the viewfinder, day or night. The LCD screen doesn't work as well because of ambient light impacting how you see what's on the screen.
    I can't speak to the merits or drawbacks of the GF6; my only M43 experience is with the Oly E-M10 - it rocks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Grab the GF6 you found. Its a lot of camera for not a lot of money.

I started with a GF1 in 2009 and still feel the GH1 that I traded up to and a GF1 that I added later cover everything I want or need from a digital camera.

I wish my GF1 had the tilt screen of e GF6

4. jhunter

jhunter New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2015
    Voss,Tx
    Thanks for the replies, I think I`ll order the GF6 and play with it for awhile before I spend a lot of money on the hobby.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The only problem with the GF# line is that it moved in the point and shoot direction after the initial GF1. Hence the GX# was introduced. If this is just a step up from a small sensor P&S or cell phone than the GF6 is fine. Otherwise I would look at something with more control options. Note I'm not saying more advanced features, functions, etc. But easier control options, I hate menu diving.

The GX1 & Gx7 for Panasonic, E-PL5. E-PL7, E-P3, E-P5, E-M5, E-M10. Used, refurbished, or new. I'm much more a fan of Olympus than Panasonic, but that's more menu and functions layout than whether it's a good camera or not (I really like the super control panel from Olympus). The E-PL5 is probably going to be the closest in price to the GF6 as you can get reconditioned units from Olympus with the kit lens for $399.

The others would be used. GX1s and E-P3s might be the bargains as bodies are in the $100-$250 range. KEH and Robert's each have some very nice looking E-P3 on eBay listed at $230-$260 but with "make offer" options. They are body only but the Olympus kit lens or Panasonic 14mm aren't that much used. You might even come close to getting all three right around $400 (easy with the GX1, harder with the E-P3).

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Only thing about the later cameras in the GF series I really don't like is the lack of controls. Basically a single control wheel on the back, which has a lot of function, but the lack of customization is kind of annoying. Still, good deal for a camera and lens.

GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

7. jhunter

jhunter New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2015
    Voss,Tx
    Wow you guys are giving me a lot to think about :smile:. Like I said I shot 35mm aloooong time ago and have only had point and shoots the last few years. I`m wanting something with more control than a p&s but not something so overwhelming that I`ll never use it to it`s potential. I`ll look at the epl5, ep5 and gx7 again.

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I had a look at the GF6 before I picked up a pair of GM1's . It's a nice little camera, and unlike the GF2-GF5 has gone back to having a control dial on the top, and an extra button. Less menu diving than the other GF's.

Having come from the dial and button world of Nikon D*00's I was surprised at how quickly I've adapted to using touch screen controls, but they're not going to be for everyone. Whether the lack of EVF is a problem is very much a matter of taste - I'm in the UK so bright light making an LCD screen difficult to view is rarely a problem :smile: but if I lived somewhere where it's very bright it might be different... There is the argument of stability when a camera isn't pressed up against the face, but I think that's exaggerated - if you support the camera with one hand under the lens and one on the controls with elbows in and a neck strap short enough to act as a brace stability shouldn't be a problem when composing - whether you like that form of handling is another matter.

To be honest it largely comes down to handling concerns - there's not much the GX7 can do that the GF6 can't, but they do handle differently. The sensor is excellent, a big improvement on the early Panasonic/Olympus models. It only has a built in flash with no hot shoe so it's not a great choice if you like flash, and I wasn't keen on the plastic body. Don't get me wrong - it doesn't feel 'cheap' or fragile, but I have a definite irrational prejudice against plastic :redface:

All in all it's an under-rated camera and arguably dismissed because of the more limited GF2-GF5.

9. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    The GF6 goes back to having a top mounted control dial as well...

10. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Maybe it's just me but I would recommend the G5. If I had newly switched from film (which I previously used), I would want a capable camera with a built in EVF. The G5 has a fully articulated screen and a 16mp sensor - plus the capability to capture decent video.

I don't think it would cost any more than the GF6 you're looking at. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If the budget is tight don't rule out the GX1 and E-P3. The GX1 has similar on screen function/q-menu type controls as the GX7. The same is true for the E-P3 to E-P5 / E-M# bodies. Even if these were to loose 25%-33% their value between now and when you go to sell them that's not that much.

12. jhunter

jhunter New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2015
    Voss,Tx
    Budget isn`t a concern I just hate to drop a lot of money and then let it sit. I would rather buy something cheaper and then if I got back into it upgrade.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Makes sense, but if the GX7 and E-P5 are in the mix I would add the E-M10. Actually I would just get the E-M10, but.... :wink:

14. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    I'm a +1 on Itchybiscuit's recommendation for the G5. It is a lot of camera and available quite cheep.

15. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    To be honest there's not a bad current or recent bad M43 body out there. They've all got slight compromises in terms of size/handling and it's very much a question of personal taste. If you've got the opportunity to handle different options take it. There's little difference in capabilities between the newer 16mp bodies.

16. jhunter

jhunter New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2015
    Voss,Tx
    I have read countless reviews on a lot of cameras and you are right, they all are great cameras I just have to decide which one will suit me best. Unfortunately I`m 3.5 hours away from a camera store so I shop by internet. I appreciate all the input I have recieved so far.

• Like Like x 1
  17. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    To give a slightly different point of view, I bought my daughter a GF3 (very cheap deal on a used one) and paired it with the 14-42mm II lens. What is interesting is that she likes the touch screen and prefers it over dials and buttons - the touch screen generation! To me the GF6 looks like a very capable camera. Camera Labs give it a highly recommended review (see http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GF6/index.shtml), and have the following conclusion: "Yes, it's marketed as a consumer model, but the return of the mode dial along with its other advanced features gives it a much broader appeal than earlier GF models. Only the most demanding enthusiasts, those who like the kind of physical control offerred by multiple dials and the option to add a viewfinder, plus features like focus peaking and fast continuous shooting are likely to pass the GF6 over for something more capable, and probably bigger, heavier and more expensive as a result. "

18. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's fine, same sensor as GX1/G3, but that's not super cheap to be honest for a previous generation camera. There's a lot of options there. You could get EPM2 with better newer sensor, or G5. I think even GX1 may be a better option for less money even if you don't plan to ever get a accessory EVF for it. Same sensor but better premium built(as far as I know), with more controls.

19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I can definitely recommend the G5 if you want one of the cheapest evf models, and the GX1 if you don't think you will need the evf (but want the option later).

I actually use a bargain EP1 with the VF1 (optical finder) quite a bit, any micro four thirds camera at all will do far more than your p&s.

GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

20. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    A refurbished g6 is a lot of camera for the money, especially if you think you would like the mini dslr form.

Sorry to add another to the mix :biggrin: