Newbie in the UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by PickleB, Jan 15, 2012.

1. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Hello all

Greetings from the UK. I'm a dedicated Nikon DSLR user, but I think I'm about to be tempted into the world of MFT by an offering from Panasonic. The thought of being able to carry around less than 1 kg of camera and lenses it just so tempting ...

So I joined the forum to see what's on offer here and to be able to participate in your discussions. Thanks, in anticipation, for all the tips and other infor I'll pick up.

Regards,

BobG

2. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    Welcome to the forum, Bob.

Like you, I'm a DSLR user (Sony A700) who has invested in :43: - the big attraction was the reduced weight and increased portability. I've had my :43: kit for two months now and its brought the fun back into photography - I'm taking images from angles I would never have dreamt of with the DSLR.

That said, :43: won't replace the DSLR kit, but it will run along side it and probably be used more.

I thought long and hard before buying the E-P3 and have not regretted it at all.

3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Welcome. I'm just an enthusiast but been doing it for decades. I sold my D3 and f2.8 lenses then bought the system in my sig. I'm very happy with it and shooting now more than ever. I'm sure I'll never own a large camera again. Sooner or later I'll pick up the best primes for my uses.

4. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

My advice is, take plenty of before deciding what to buy. There are many choices, many styles of camera body, several very different user interfaces and a very wide choice of lenses.

I'm also in the UK. I started with a Panasonic GF1 as a second system to my Nikon DSLRs, but didn't take to it. After a year or so, I was quite taken with the Panasonic G3 and spent a few months reading people's opinions before taking the plunge. It's a great camera.

The two systems (Panasonic and Olympus) are quite different in that Panasonic uses in-lens image stabilisation (OIS) and Olympus stabilises in the camera body. That means that Olympus lenses are only stabilised on Olympus cameras, but Panasonic lenses (even those without OIS) are stabilised on Olympus bodies. With a Panasonic OIS lens on an Olympus body, you can even choose between in-lens OIS or in-body stabilisation!

So far, only Panasonic offers bodies with built-in viewfinders. Accessory viewfinders are available for cameras built without them but they add cost and bulk.

There are major differences between the Panasonic and Olympus lens ranges but you can mix and match to a great extent; just bear in mind the stabilisation issue or learn to shoot sharp images without stabilisation if you haven't already.

The only things that disappoint me are the poor dynamic range of all Micro Four Thirds sensors and the obtrusive noise of the 12.3 MP versions in both manufacturers' ranges. The 16 MP sensors in the Panasonic GH2, G3 and GX1 have much lower noise at high ISOs than the 12.3 MP sensors, and that's the reason why I chose the Panasonic G3 as my main body.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Thanks ...

... to one and all for their welcome and advice that (I've just read).

It was good to learn that I'd made a sensible choice; today I went out and bought a Panasonic G3 with 14-42 kit lens, plus a 20 mm f1.7. I'd looked at the GX1, having rejected anything without a hot shoe, but then the G3's EVF swung my decision in favour of the earlier model.

Tomorrow, I mean to order the 45-175 mm and to try and find somewhere with the 14-42 Power Zoom in stock (at a sensible price). Then the bank balance will need a rest!

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Welcome from Boise, Idaho.. USA.. keep your Credit Card paid up to date.. :smile:

7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Beware: The 14-42mm X lens with power zoom may disappoint you. Optically, it is no better than the much cheaper 14-42mm kit lens. And it might even be worse, because there seems to be considerable sample variation at this early production stage.

Plus, make sure you can live with the power zoom, which seems to work OK on the 45-175mm X tele zoom but less so on the 14-42mm X. But it's your choice, and your money. :rolleyes:

8. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    Welcome to the forum
    You,ve made a great choice, the G3 with the 20mm is a superb combination

9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    G3 + 20mm. Great thinking :thumbup:

10. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

11. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Thanks for the pointers ... if I can source one, I'll let you know how I get on.

It's the size and weight (or lack of both) that attracted me to the power zoom 14-42 mm. If I get it and don't like it I have the standard lens to fall back on and I'm sure I will be able to sell the PZ without taking too much of a hit ... I hope.

12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group and best of luck with your decision!

13. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    I was browsing the web today and found this review where it says, on the basis of their test results, "The Panasonic 14-42mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 X is remarkably sharp, and a noticeable improvement over the existing 14-42mm kit lens". So perhaps it scores in at least one area.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    If there are duff examples out there it will do nothing for its reputation, but hopefully Panasonic will have sorted out their production

14. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find a good review of Yugo cars - remember them?

In photography, there are many websites posting "reviews" of dubious quality. Many of the self-appointed "reviewers" have never seen the equipment they "review", let alone touched, used or tested it.

If you want to read some really inconsistent online reviews, start with Ken Rockwell and Steve Huff and take it from there. And don't believe anything you read. :wink:

15. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Oops ...

In an earlier post I thought I had included a link to a test of the 14-42mm X power zoom, but I now see it's not there. So I'm trying again ... link.

I have to agree, but what's your opinion on SLRGear's tests (see link above)?

And, I quite like KenR ... if you don't take his word as gospel, but rather an opinion and are aware of his slant on life, locations, colour etc. I don't think I'm ready for Steve Huff! :wink:

16. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    You mean Rockwell's supposed to be read seriously? I thought that was a comedy persona like Vic Reeves or The Pub Landlord or something :biggrin:

17. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

SLRGear has a thin veneer of respectability, but I think it's very thin indeed. I would not trust any of their reviews.

As for Ken Rockwell, if you are a serious Nikon user, you soon realise what a load of nonsense he talks. He has such dogmatic opinions about equipment that he has never touched or used. It's hilarious to those in the know, but he is guilty of seriously misleading people. To think that his website provides him and his family with their main income ...

At the end of the day, the only equipment reviews you can trust are those you have done yourself. But people are lazy, and it is all too easy to take the easy route and listen to "reviewers" who haven't the faintest idea what they are doing.

And then there's Steve Huff 'n' Puff. He's something else entirely, a bit like a Ken Rockwell on steroids and Lord knows what else. Only joking. ;-)