Newbie here

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Mustangjoey, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Mustangjoey

Mustangjoey Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2011
    Hey guys, new to the forum and the micro 4/3 world. Just bought a G1 body brand new for 240. So I'm super excited to get into this different system here. I currently use a pentax kx and have a few different older manual focus lenses that are fun with that.

But anyways, just wanted to say hi and ask for any tips or advice for my new G1 body. From what I hear best all purpose lens is 14-45 panasonic. Kind of wish I would have bought the kit with the lens now. :mad: but any other tips/suggestions from you guys? Thanks

Joey

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Joey, welcome and congrats on your G1!

The best place to ask for advice about your G1 is going to be in the Panasonic forum where the most G1 shooters are going to pick up on your questions. Take a virtual stroll over there and by all means start a new thread.

Very glad you've found your way here.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mustangjoey

Mustangjoey Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2011
    Ok, posted my questions there. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  4. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Welcome and great on getting a G1 for $240. I had to pay $365 for a G1 body on eBay, but have no regrets as I totally love this camera. I do have the 14-45 and it is a really nice lens and the one I use most on the G1. I see they are on Amazon for $322, which is less than I paid for mine. A useful book on the system is "David Busch's Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1" I got it because I also have the GF1, but just about everything in there is applicable to the G1. The menues and essentially all the controls are just about the same on both cameras, so the book really applies to both cameras.
    With your manual lenses, you will love the manual focussing feature on the G1 where you touch the left arrow on the "cursor buttons", then the menu/set, and the screen greatly zooms in on the part you want to focus, you focus, then touch the shutter button and you are back to full frame and you can take your shot. See page 72 of the manual.
    This camera is loaded with incredible features -it just takes time to find and use them all. The above book can help as does the manual, but just messing around with this gem of a camera helps the most. You were very lucky to pick one up before they all were gone

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mustangjoey

Mustangjoey Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2011
    Thank you sir. I will look into that book. I used to own a panasonic lumix fz35, I wonder if anything is similar on that. Loved that camera (dropped it and broke it) :( Since I have a dedicated HD camcorder video was no big deal for me, so this g1 seems to fit the bill nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I didn't need the video either and really didn't want to get into touch screens. The G1 has everything else. I was out today in 12 degree weather shooting with liner gloves on and everything on the G1 was easy to use with the gloves. I wonder how touch screen functions with gloves? I also started my Panasonic love affair with their point and shoot, the DMC-ZS3 and still love that camera. There are a lot of similarities in the menu and general approach, which is what attracted me to the GF1/G1. I had been a long time Nikon user, but Panasonic has completely won me over.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome - had a G1 - it's a fine camera.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    congrats on the m4/3 it will be nice to use the pentax k-mount lenses with the adapters with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Joey, and Hello from Scotland. I'm a G1 user too.

Have a nice time with your new camera.

All the best,

Colin