Newbie (GX7) questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Hi all,

Still finding out what's makes my first M4/3 camera tick (A Panasonic GX7), which by the way I'm really liking. Just a couple of question please from you seasoned pros.

1. As the built in flash is very weak, I was wondering what's the best small pocketable flash unit for the GX7. For my Nikon system I have the SB-910's which are huge, but for travelling (which the GX7 was purchased for), I either use an SB-400 or for the Nikon 1 system the tiny SB-N7. Is there a similar small pocketable add on flash (with a guide number around the 15-25m) for the Olympus / Panasonic M4/3 cameras please ?

2. I've been trying to get the Geotagging working with the GX7, but am struggling. Firstly, I connect the camera via WIFI to the phone and the Panasonic image app. Then go to Geotagging and sync the time with the camera and set the phone (Iphone 4s) to record positions every 5 seconds (default). Then I start shooting with the camera (wifi then off), and later send the location data from the phone to the camera. I then go into the camera menus and select "add location data". I select the time period file in the list and enter. I then get an hour glass for a few moments, then a message which says "some images did not have location data applied" (or something like that), but try as I might, I can't find location data on any of my images. I'm obviously doing something wrong so can anyone assist please ?

3. I've read somewhere about a "live" bulb feature which allows you to accurately gauge long exposures by allowing the live view to "develop" on screen in front of view so you could gauge when to close the shutter. Is this just a feature of the Olympus "pen" cameras, or does the GX7 have this as well ?

Thanks in advance.

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Olympus FL300R - GN28, about $120

3. Sootchucker

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Quick question (again), I've jut read a review which seems to be pretty good, but it states that the wireless function of this flash is only available to Olympus bodies not Panasonic. Is this true, i.e. is it known if the FL300R will communicate wirelessly with the GX7 ?

4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    If you want to use TTL and IR wireless the FL300R will work. It is a bit fragile ( does not tolerate drops to the floor). Both the Panasonic and Olympus are pricey (the Olympus branded models usually costing a little less). The more powerful flashes will make the Gx7 unwieldy. I had to use my Panasonic DMW-FL360L on my GX7 this afternoon - it was very unbalanced. I usually use that flash with my GH3.

I do not geotag my photos. The wireless function can be tricky at times and the documentation is pretty mediocre.

I am not familiar with the "live" bulb feature. I guess I will have to look at the manual.

5. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    1. The Olympus is an MFT standard flash and will work perfectly well for your purposes. Mind you, Panasonic do their own DMW FL220E and Metz do a huge range of flashes that work perfectly with MFT cameras.

2. You seem to be doing everything right with the geotagging, since everything is working to plan except the info isn't there. You wouldn't happen to be using Lightroom 4 would you? That mishandled the location info, it was there but was not shown. It was corrected in LR5. Or perhaps your phone loses its fix? Unlikely. The wifi on the GX7 seems to be much weaker than on the GH3 and GM1.

I'd try a test, lock the phone on and take a pic at home, making sure GPS fix isn't lost. Go through the procedure. If the fix is there and you are not using lR4, something very peculiar is happening. The GX7 has weak WiFi compared with its stablemates so make sure also that at all times the phone is close to the camera. Sometimes things report that a procedure has occurred rather than whether it did anything useful

3, That is an Olympus feature not implemented on the GX7

I have a little book on Amazon on the GX7 which you might find useful if you are just setting out with the GX7.

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    1. I use a Metz 24AF. It is very small (2x AA battery) and looks like a fixed-head, but it isn't. It tilts up to 90 degrees. Nice.

2. Not something I have looked into.

7. Sootchucker

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I'll look into them all.

With regards the Geotagging - user error I'm afraid. After syncing the time with the camera I was inadvertently closing the Panasonic app on my Iphone (which obviously stops data logging) - doh !!!

Tried it again this afternoon (leaving the app open but the phone locked), and it worked perfectly with all images Geotagged.

Re the Live Bulb, I've done some more research and it does indeed seem that it's Olympus bodies only.

Anyway, thanks again,