1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newbie from Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Iain heslop, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Iain heslop

Iain heslop New to Mu-43

Apr 16, 2011
    Hello I'm Iain from Newcastle upon Tyne, I'm new to this forum and photography, I was lucky enough to receive a Lumix G10-DMC with 14-45mm lens, for Christmas,:biggrin: well this is where my dilemma starts, :eek:how to take a decent shot, what kit do you recommend, do I need another lens, what bag??? Should I get, what about a flash????, tripod or monopod??? You see I'm full of questions but no answers, I hope that I don't come across as a dork???, I'm here to learn and chat, and thanks for letting me join in.:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The good news is you have what you need to take a decent shot. The only reason for new equipment would be to take something not possible with what you have.

Welcome.

3. Welcome to the forum. You already have a great little camera, so there's no need to go gear mad just yet, especially if you're new to both the camera and photography. You'd be amazed at what you can achieve with the gear that you already have.

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Hello Iain, and welcome.

To answer quickly and simply your question, what you need is : going out taking picture. The best gear, when left home or at the bottom of a bag, doesn't take any picture, ever. So put that strap around your neck, remove the lens cap, and get away from that screen ! Walk the streets, go to the country side, take pictures of what you like, and when you get back, ask yourself "is it faithful to the vision I had and is it what I wanted to capture ?"

Experience is the best teacher.

Cheers,

5. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Hello from Jarrow, Iain. You have a capable camera, and a great city in which to shoot with it. What sort of photography might be taking your fancy?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome aboard Iain,

It's nice to have you here with us. You've already received some very good advice from some very experienced members.

Get out there and make some images, post and ask for comments. Look through the threads for people who's work you enjoy, then try to emulate that work. In time you'll find your own style, and your personality will begin to show in the images you capture.

Enjoy the board, we're here to help.

Cheers from New England, Alan

7. Iain heslop

Iain heslop New to Mu-43

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks, for your advice, well I'm starting to get out and about ( when job and wife let me) loving me panny it's fab to play with think I've a long way to go, trying all the functions and buttons on her, sometimes the picture is very dark and fuzzy, other tines to bright, I'm looking for some software??? to touch up my attempts at street photos, another problem I have, what do I use to upload my pictures??? to this site so I can get some feedback, anyway cheers again, loving the forum so much to learn so little time I have.