1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newbie from California

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by RedNumber5, Dec 15, 2010.

1. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Newbie to m4/3 cameras but I've been doing photography for about 25 years. Started off with a Canon AE-1 and then a Canon EOS Elan/100. My first digital camera was a Ricoh RDC-7 and then a Canon Powershot A640. I'm still mostly a film user as I just recently bought a Bronica ETRS and Canon 7e. With everyone it seems going digital, you can get film cameras for cheap that's for sure.

I bought a Panasonic G1 just a few weeks ago since Amazon had it on sale for $399 and I've been having a blast testing it out with my FD mount lenses. I love how the m4/3 format doesn't tie me into any particular lens system! I definitely thought about getting a Canon EOS DSLR but I'm glad I didn't go that route. I've also just started doing infrared photography so hopefully the G1 will work well with that aspect of photography. It sure is easier doing infrared on digital cameras than film.

Well thanks for reading my introduction and hopefully I'll be able to contribute here!

• Like Like x 3
  2. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Welcome! Am also a long time film user though no longer have the patience for it and digital has gotten so good. I was into digital DSLR, specifically the Nikon D-80, but have fallen in love with the little G1 and also have a GF1 so am no longer using the D-80. These Panasonic cameras take incredibly good pictures and are so versatile. They seem to have thought of just about everything in designing the G1. The more you learn about its various features, the better it gets. Have you checked out the feature for manual focus of any lens where it zooms in close at the touch of a button, you focus, and then touch the shutter button and you are back at full frame? Great little camera and all the camera I will every need as it takes exhibition quality prints every bit as good as my Nikon.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome RedNumber5.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Thanks for the welcome. I did know how to do the manual focus and zoom but not the shutter button part. I usually just hit Menu button to go back to the regular view. As far as film, I still find it satisfying to use. What I usually do now is instead of having prints done of each frame, I have the roll just developed, scan the negatives and only print out what I want with a little post-processing done.

By the way thanks for the welcome too Bill.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome and hello from Scotland.

All the best,

Colin

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

RedNumber5, it looks as though you've already made yourself at home! Glad to have you here.:thumbup: