Newbie Flash question on EPM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jimothy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jimothy

Jimothy New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2012
    I recently bought a refurbished EPM-1 off of ebay and I've enjoyed it so far, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to use the flash effectively.

No matter what settings I seem to choose, the pictures are really dark on any of the PASM mode. If I select iAUTO it seems to work just fine. It's like the picture is being taken either before or too far after the flash is fired. There isn't a lot of settings to choose from so I'm pretty confused on why this isn't working.
  2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I'm an old trial and error shooter when using flash.

In A mode, the camera is constrained to 1/60 second when it senses the flash flipped up and use whatever aperture I had picked for the lens. If too dark, I have to increase the aperture. If that's all the way up, I increase the ISO. Conversely, if too dark, I can drop aperture and.or ISO.

In S mode, the highest the EPM1 can go is 1/160 second, although I can pick lower speeds. Camera will try to pick the best aperture, and if that's maxed out and still too dark, then I have to up the ISO.

AUTO ISO doesn't work in either of the above for me. It stays at base ISO with the kit flash.

I've been known to run out of patience and just use iAuto too for flash, but think I can dial it better in A mode, given time.
  3. Millsey

Millsey New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2013
    Cambridge, UK
    Chris Mills

I have this trouble on my epl3. Have a look at my post a few days ago and the replies.

4. Jimothy

Jimothy New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2012
    Thanks all, I eventually gave up and reset all settings to factory reset and that seemed to fix it.