Newbie and my Shopping Spree..

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rapid, Apr 11, 2012.

1. rapid

rapid Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Hi All,

Decided to join the micro four thirds gang, been out of photography for 4 years or so now and looking to make a return.

Had quite a bit of trouble deciding what to go for.. the EM5 looks great but perhaps too big.. I'm planning a round the world trip (8-12 months if the money lasts) starting this september and I think size will matter if I am to lug it around all day every day. Settled on the EPM1 for size and also OOC jpegs which is what I will be using for my travels with a view to RAW editing on any that I really like upon my return.

I will see how I get on over the next few months, if I get the urge for more controls then I may look at the EPL3 or EP3 (possibly EM5).

I went on a bit of a shopping spree last night.. oops :) ordered the following:

GF3+14mm+Lightroom3 for £249 - £50 cashback and will sell the camera for £150 on ebay which results in getting the 14mm and Lightroom for £50.

PL25mm for £439 - £50 cashback so £389 total

EPM1 body only for £249 - £50 cashback so £199 total

Oly 45mm - for £235 - £70 cashback when purchased with a PEN camera so £165 total

Just had an email saying the PL25mm is out of stock and I've been wondering if I made the wrong decision in terms of size with a view that I will most likely be taking it travelling.. plus the cashback applies to the 20mm 1.7 as well which would make is £229.. £160 cheaper and a lot smaller.. tough decision.

I guess the other question is around the GF3.. am I making the right decision to go with the EPM1 over the GF3? My main reasons are around the OOC jpegs along with hotshoe, IBIS etc etc.

I hope the deals with cashback above are useful for people who dont know about the offers.

Thanks all and cant wait to get going!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    I've been eyeing that cashback on panasonic 20mm too. On amazon it is 270, so 220 GBP with the cashback, slightly cheaper then what you posted :)

That GF3 combo also sounds like a massive offer. Are you sure it is by authorized dealer, i.e. eligable for the cashback?

Also, can you give more information the about Olympus cashbacks, didnt knew those were available?
  3. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes, the GF3 offer is at an authorised UK dealer (SRS) and is UK stock:
    You also get a 3 year warranty on the camera (instead of 1):
    (SRS only has the GF3 in red though - they also had the camera in black and white colours too but appear to be sold out now).

Olympus cashback offers are here:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Welcome! These little cameras certainly make photography fun again.

You seem to have taken full advantage of all the current deals and cashback offers :) I did the opposite to you - got the GF3 and sold the lens (as I already had one). I would have preferred the EPM1, but the GF3 body cost me £75 with a free copy of LR3 (after selling the lens for £125 and £50 cashback) vs the E-PM1 body at £250 (more than 3 times the price).

I thought if I don't like the GF3 I can easily sell it used and get my £75 back, but I like it more than I thought I would - with the 14mm lens it has replaced my Ixus compact as a small take anywhere camera. Not bothered at all about the lack of evf or hotshoe as my Nex does not have those either and if I did want them I have the E-PL1. :) Yes 3 cameras is a bit excessive but at £75 I could not resist the GF3 and they are all quite different so I use them for different things.

So yes if you are only going to have one camera then the E-PM1 probably makes more sense than the GF3 (unless you are certain you will only use the inbuilt flash and never use an evf) plus the Olympus jpegs have the edge (although the GF3 ones are okay and can be tweaked in camera plus I figured it gives me a good reason/excuse to finally learn how to use Lightroom on the GF3 raw files). Plus with the Olympus, you get IBIS as you point out.

I don't think you get Olympus cashback on the E-PM1 body only though - I think it's only on the kits (camera + 14-42 II or camera + 14-42 II and 40-150 R)?
    Olympus PEN Cashback - SRS Microsystems
  5. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
  6. rapid

rapid Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys..

In regards to the offer, I've just emailed olympus as its a little unclear really..

I'm now not sure if I will qualify for either cashback, will see what they say.. if they say I need to buy the EPM1 in a kit in order to qualify I will just return it and buy the one with the kit lens, I can then sell that on if need be..

I've just changed my PL25mm order to a 20mm, I think having slept on it that the 20mm will be better suited for travel photography and it will feel a lot better on a smaller camera such as the EMP1.
  7. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I am currently shooting with a E-PM1, 20mm 1.7 and 45mm 1.8 and it is a great set up. If I was to have another lens, it was also be the 14mm, but I have decided I don't really need it, not that much of a wide angle shooter.

As for deals, I got the E-PM1 for £299 and sold the kit lens for £100 so it worked out quite cheap.

I hope you have lots of fun with your new camera kit!
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Wow, you really jumped into the :43: pool with both feet (and both credit cards, I presume :wink:).

The choice between the 20mm f/1.7 and the 25mm f/1.4 is a tough one since they're both great but in some ways they're really different beasts. The 20mm pancake is significantly more compact than the 25mm, which makes it a good match to the E-PM1 as you pointed out. However, since you're going to have the 14mm lens (which is even more compact than the 20mm), I would suggest that you would use the 14mm as your "walking around" lens. The difference in focal length between the 14 and 20 is not really all that significant.

Given that, I'd prefer to have the 25mm f/1.4 for the extra half-stop it provides and the less image distortion provided by the 25mm focal length. Here's a great Pop Photo article from a few years ago that espouses the primacy of the 50mm f/1.4 (in 35mm terms) lens.

Given the E-PM1's lack of in-body flash, I'd make my next purchase a flash unit.
  9. WolfBane

WolfBane Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    I was torn between the GF3 and the E-PM1 and went for the Olympus in the end. I'm definitely happy with it and once you follow the suggestions on this forum (eg activate the Super Control Panel) I've found that it does almost as much as a DSLR would do, except that it's sooooo small and light.

I suspect that I would've been happy with the GF3 too though.

With that spread of lenses, ie 14mm, 20 (or 25) , plus the 45mm, you should be able to cover most things on your trip and get excellent quality too. Then if you change camera body later, you've still got good lenses!
  10. rapid

rapid Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Just received a response from Olympus

Thank you for contacting Olympus,

You can claim the camera if it has been bought in a kit or not.

To be able to claim for the Olympus Pen Lens and Accessories Promotion, you should buy the Lens separately, because if it is in a kit, you already benefited from the promotion, receiving the cashback for the camera.

So game on for claiming the £50 cashback on EPM1 body only and the £70 cashback for the 45mm when purchased with a PEN camera.

• Like Like x 2
  11. rapid

rapid Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Got all the gear through, very impressed, not had much time to go through all the settings etc as there's a whole lot to learn, just started with getting the control panel up etc.

I did get out on Thursday evening to take a couple of photos will post some up if any of them are good enough :)

On a side note, the GF3 came through, unfortunately it doesn't look like a copy of lightroom is in the box, massively dissapointed as I need a copy.. not sure why people are getting it but mine didn't come with it..

Still, getting the 14mm for £50 once I sell the GF3 is still just about worth the effort.
  12. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Did you order the GF3 from SRS? Mine (from them) came with lightroom 3 in a dvd case attached to the GF3 box with an elastic band. If it was from SRS, just ring them up or drop them an email and ask - as their webpage clearly said Lightroom came with the camera (Still does for the only colour they have left: red)
    Panasonic Lumix GF3 Red Digital Camera with 14mm Lens - SPECIAL! - Only £249.00 - SRS Microsystems
  13. rapid

rapid Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Ah, I think I ordered it from Park Cameras.. I wonder if they're stripping Lightroom off the pack?

I thought it was a Panasonic offer..

I think I will give them a call and ask, if they cant do it I will return and purchase it through SRS instead..
    • Like Like x 1
  14. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks a bunch!

Thank you very much, rapid, I did not know there was any cash back options, you've just made me €60 on the recent purchase of a GX1, and possibly something extra on the PL 25mm lens I ordered just last week!

I'm appalled that the retailer where I bought the GX1 did not mention anything about the cash back!