1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newbie 5-axis question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stevezzzz, Aug 23, 2013.

1. stevezzzz

stevezzzz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Colorado, USA
    I've poked around the Mu-43 forums but can't find the answer to this question: when mounting a P 12-35 f/2.8 on an E-P5, is there any reason to favor the Power OIS on the lens vs. the 5-axis S-IS built into the body? Any reason to have both turned on at the same time?

I'm guessing the answer to the latter question is, "Don't do it!" because the 5-axis probably uses accelerometers in the body and doesn't know that the lens might be stabilized independently.

Great forum. I've learned so much already: thanks!

2. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Steve, I don't have the 12-35mm, but do have 2 other panasonic lenses with OIS. With those, the OMD 5 axis IBIS is the IS to use and I turn the lens one off.

Jim

3. stevezzzz

stevezzzz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks, Jim, for the quick response. How about one more question concerning the different S-IS modes: what's the difference (and the different use cases for each) between S-IS1 (Auto) and S-IS Auto (Landscape Panning I.S.)? Is it just that S-IS1 is 'always on, always 5-axis' while S-IS Auto is 'turn off one of the IS translation axes based on camera panning direction'? Anything more sophisticated than that going on?

4. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Steve, my OMD does not have those settings. The IBIS has 4 settings; off, on (auto), vertical IS, for panning the camera horizontally, and horizontal IS, for panning the camera horizontally in the portrait position. The last two settings for panning I have not used, but the vertical IS would seem to match up with your setting. The OMD manual description of the panning functions would indicate what you said is correct

I use the auto function because I shoot near dusk a lot, plus use longer and manual focus lenses. It give me 2-3 stops of help and means I don't have to use my tripod as much.

Jim

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The only moderately robust comparison of the 12-35 IS vs. 5-axis was done by Luminous Landscape. They found the 5-way slightly superior, but not by a lot.

You don't want to use both at the same time. As you suggest, IBIS doesn't know what the lens is doing. Newer Oly bodies automatically turn IBIS off if you have OIS turned on, but Olympus doesn't seem to believe in providing new features via firmware updates. so the EM-5 doesn't do that.

Panning mode stabilizes the lens in only the up-down direction, and turns off side-to-side stabilization, as it would try to fight the panning motion of the camera.

6. Don't have both IS systems active at the same time. If you have your IBIS preview turned on (which activates the IBIS as soon as you focus) you can see the two systems "fighting" each other.

Using the IBIS in the E-M5 will also correct for yaw, pitch and roll, whereas the lens OIS will only correct for combinations of up-down and side-to-side movement.