1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

newb to "custom white balance"

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ralfmouth, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    ..."Custom white balance" - using the temperature settings that is.
    (not "one touch WB" using a gray card)

There is a color cast with this mode at all color temperatures which i guess is normal? Can anyone explain what this mode is for and why i can't get it neutral as with Auto WB. Can it be used in lieu of a graycard. This is in reference to video btw. If i was shooting in raw it could be fixed in post.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Not sure which camera you are using and you may already be aware of out of box warm white balance on Oly bodies that can be turned off. You probably shouldn't need major correction other than that.

3. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    sorry, olympus em-5.
    "keep warm color" is turned off
    this post refers to "cwb" option under white balance.
    anybody know what this does.
    sometimes AWB gets it wrong.

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    You can select the temperature with this one. Bear in mind you can also use WB compensation with AWB. This option works about the same way as the top two sliders in Lightroom or Camera Raw.

If you're shooting RAW you can set WB easier in your PP application, IMHO. For JPEG shooting my opinion is that Olympus has one of the best WB metering systems in the industry (and one of the most versatile to setup).

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    One meaning for CWB is that you adjust the kelvin temperature in-camera; e.g. if you select 5000K the camera will deliver cooling looking colors than 5200K or 5400K (on a sunny day outdoors).

CWB can also mean you set a custom white balance using a white or grey card. However, no one (including the Olympus manual) explains all the details of how to do this in a hand holding manner (e.g. they only give vague information like "use a white piece of paper, but don't say how white it has to be or if the paper should be in the shade or full sun and that sort of thing).

I use AWB only indoors for both video and stills. Outdoors the colors end up too warm if I used AWB so I select Sunshine if I am outdoors (if weather is sunny) Sunshine = 5300K.

If you use a movie editing program it should give you the ability to adjust the
    white balance and color balance of your footage. I know Apple iMovie '11 does so I assume Windows Movie Maker does too.

6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    If in doubt, shoot raw and post process.