1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newb question about 40-150 lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ohaya, Mar 2, 2016.

1. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi,

I am just starting with my first mirrorless camera, a used E-PL2, and am looking at getting one of the 40-150mm zoom lenses, but I'm kind of confused about something.

- I know that there is the ED 40-150mm lens and a 40-150mm "R" lens, but

- Is there a 40-150mm Olympus lens that is "micro four thirds" and a DIFFERENT 40-150mm Olympus lens that is just "four thirds" mount?

I thought that there wasn't, i.e., that all of the 40-150mm lenses from Olympus were "micro four thirds" but then I was emailing with a vendor today and they said the 40-150mm lens they were selling was "four thirds" and NOT "micro four thirds".

Can someone clarify that for me? If I see an Olympus 40-150mm lens, do I need to check if it is a "four thirds" mount vs. a "micro four thirds" mount?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You do. The micro are mZD or m Zuiko lenses. The regular are ZD or Zuiko, and will fit with an adapter but the 40-150 43 lens is not particularly desirable.

3. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    It's s 2 different designs "four thirds" and "micro four thirds".
    "Four thirds" is their old digital system, and they do not make lenses for it longer (afaik).
    "Micro four thirds" has evolved from "four thirds".
    It's kind of "four thirds vol II".
    You can't put lenses from four thirds on micro four thirds unless you have a adapter between lens and housing (camera-house).

4. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    So I need to look for "mZD" or "m Zuiko" versions, correct? And those will always be "micro four thirds"?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
  6. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi,

Thanks. I was looking at the chart, but it was difficult to figure out how to tell which was which until Mattia explained the naming convention above. I guess that I needed a "decoder ring" :)...

7. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    The Olympus web site has separate categories for micro and 4/3. Take a look there.

8. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    But be aware that there might be old lenses (to the 4/3 Eco-system) that has the same name as (M4/3 the "new" system). So use the list as a guideline. ;)

You should be fine buying from a retailer they know the difference(and probably don't have to much 4/3 in stock).

9. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    You might find this list useful:
    The Complete Micro 4/3 Lens List
    If you click the link in the second column it should take you to a web page with the details of that lens. Down the bottom of the page are the older 4/3 lenses, so hopefully from that you should be able to figure out which is which.

As above, the older 4/3 lenses can be used on a micro 4/3 body, with an adapter, however, most will be slower to focus and generally work best with the OM-D E-M1 body. The 4/3 lenses are also physically larger and heavier than the micro 4/3 equivalent.

If you are going to use a 4/3 lens on a micro 4/3 body, you need to get an adapter that transfers through the electrical contacts. The genuine Olympus and Panasonic adapters do, some of the Chinese copies do and some don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The ZD40-150 lens was used on their DSLRs (4/3's) whereas M.ZD is for the mirrorless models (M4/3's) but the M.ZD don't come with lens hoods, however the same hood fits both lenses. I recommend getting the JJC version of it as it will be fine & cheaper than the Olympus one.

11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    What others didn't mention specifically is that Panasonic Lumix and Panasonic Leica M43 lenses will also fit and work with Olympus M43 cameras and vice versa. Panasonic did not make 4/3rds lenses, so there's no confusion there. There are quite a few choices in that 40-150 focal length range, so it can be confusing.

I'd recommend sticking with M43 lenses because you don't need to get an adaptor as in a 4/3rd lens, and they work better on most M43 bodies.

The bargain leader in this group is the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R, which you can often get on sale for $99. It is a better lens than the low cost would lead you to believe.

12. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I stand corrected. You're right. I've never seen them for sale. But, did they make a 4/3rd's body? Jus' wonderin'.

Ah, so they did. Interesting. Only one, hence the low lens count.
    Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Products(Camera Bodies)

14. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
  15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  16. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    To even further complicate things, the 43rds had two versions of the 40-150 One large one starting at F3.5 and then the much smaller at F4.0. The M43 also has two versions, but they are only cosmetically different....and of course the 40-150 F2.8 Pro, which won't be mistaken for the others.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi,

Thanks for all the comments/info. I should clarify further... really what I was looking for was hints about how to identify the specific lens from pics, like on Ebay.

Here's an example:

Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm F/4.0-5.6 ED Lens For Four Thirds

Is that a 4/3 or is it a micro 4/3?

The description/text is kind of confusing, because the title says "Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm F/4.0-5.6 ED Lens For Four Thirds", but then further down it says:

Compatibility
    Compatible Brand Four Thirds
    Camera Technology Digital

Then even further down:

Compatible Mountings Micro Four Thirds
    Focus Type Micromotor

I had messaged the seller, but he wasn't responding, and the auction was coming to an end soon.

I ended up taking a chance and got it for a pretty good price, I think, and then, after-the-fact, the seller finally responded and confirmed that (a) the picture of the box was accurate (box says "micro four thirds") and (b) the lens was a "micro four thirds" mount.

I kind of "assumed" that (a) was true, but really wasn't sure what I'd be getting.

Hopefully, I'll know for sure in a few days :)!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    good luck. The box and the lens in the ebay pictures are definitely M4/3. But the description looks to be the 4/3 (non micro). Hopefully the guy just cut and paste the wrong info and you haven't been scammed.

19. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Unfortunately some sellers don't understand the issue and combine bits and pieces of info they find on the web, or even photos, without realising they don't all refer to the same lens.

In this case if the first two photos are of the actual lens being sold you are fine, it is definitely the m.Zuiko. But the third photo looks like a different lens to me, the texture of the zoom ring looks different.

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The original description is misleading in that it seems it is the 4/3's DSLR version but the photos show it is the M.Zuiko Digital 40-150 which is what you want.

Further down it shows:
    Maximum Format Size FourThirds (which is correct as that is the sensor format size for both).
    Compatible Mountings Micro Four Thirds (this is the correct mount you want).