Newb needs some help picking out accessories

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by curveshooter, Mar 18, 2013.

1. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Newb here. I'll be at B&H Photo this week and could use some help picking out some accessories.

What I've got:
    -Panasonic G3 with 14-42 kit zoom lens
    -Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and adapter
    -Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 and adapter
    -lens adapter rear caps, lens front caps (I'll keep the legacy primes mounted to their adapters)
    -lens pen
    -tripod
    -bag
    -memory cards
    -lens hood for 14-42
    -inexpensive UV filters for legacy primes
    -FL-300 flash <br>

What I think I could use: <br>
    -remote shutter release - thinking of getting the Vello RS-P1II Wired Remote Switch for Panasonic for $10 instead of the Panasonic shutter release for $50 <br>
    -neutral density filter - if I'm only getting 1 ND filter, is a 3 stop filter the way to go? Or would I be better served with a graduated filter? Would the latter require more equipment to be able to use the graduated filter? <br>
    -polarizing filter <br>
    -UV filter - I've got very inexpensive UV filters for my legacy primes, and no filter for the 14-42 kit zoom (just using the hood). Is there any reason for a newb to drop money on anything better than $5 UV filters? <br>
    -filter wallet - will probably just see if they have something used; don't want anything fancy here <br>
    -white balance card - typing this into the B&H search box yielded > 100 results. I'm lost - help! Just want something basic. <br>
    -macro extension tubes for Nikon 50mm f/1.8 - would something very inexpensive/basic be sufficient to experiment with a bit of macro photography? <br>

Any tips on the items I'm contemplating? Is there anything else I should be considering? Thanks!

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As far as an ND filter goes, it really depends on what effects your looking for. If you're looking just to get gauzy effects with moving water then a three stop (ND9) filter is a good place to start. A graduated ND is generally used to compensate for an overly bright sky while allowing whatever is in the bottom of the frame to be properly exposed. So those are two different beasts.

With the macro rings, since you have two different legacy mounts, you might want to consider getting a set of :43: tubes, which you could use with any adapted lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Good point. I don't really know how much outdoor shooting I'd be doing anyway. Just more GAS brought on by reading Understanding Exposure. I guess I'll cross the ND filter bridge if and when I get to it.

Oh I see: you can get tubes that go between the camera and adapter - the :43: tubes - or tubes that go between the adapter and the lens. Yeah, makes sense to get :43: tubes and be set for any adapted lens. Plus less to change out as I can keep the adapted lens permanently mated to the adapter.

4. KAB

KAB New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Indiana / Ohio
    Katherine
    Here is another potential option if you want to go for a wireless shutter release:

Amazon.com: RainbowImaging 100 Meter 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ20, FZ20K, FZ25, FZ30, FZ50, LC1, L10, L1, G1, GH1, GF1, GH2, G2 & Leica Digilux 1, DIGILUX 2, DIGILUX 3, Replaces panasonic DMW-RS1: Camera & Photo

It's not available through B&H, but it could be good. Seems to have decent reviews. I prefer a wireless remote because I do self-portraits for my blog and I just like to have the freedom to move away from the camera a bit. I'll probably be getting it soon, once I recover a bit from my initial spending splurge on body and lenses. :p Also, a week or two ago it was about $5 less, so price could down down again.

I hope you enjoy your trip to the B&H store! I've never been, but I'm sure it's fun to peruse a bit in there!

• Like Like x 1
  5. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Looks like there is a slightly different model for the G3 and some other Panasonic cameras: Amazon.com: 100M Wireless Remote Control Shutter Release for Panasonic DMC G3, FZ50, FZ100, 50K, 50S, 30, 30K, 30S, 20, 20K, 20S, LC-1, L1, Leica Digilux 2, 3: Camera & Photo

I didn't realize wireless shutter releases were so inexpensive. If it works reliably, it's definitely worth the extra $15 to me to go wireless.

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Not sure which wireless one I have (older one with an antenna that you pull out), but it's great when it's cold out. I can keep my hands in my fleece pockets, and not worry about accidentally bumping the camera.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

10m TTL cable ... of camera TTL flash can be fun without the hassle of wireless business.

8. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Any tips on selecting a white balance / grey card(s)?

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have heard great things about the WhiBal branded cards. Ordered one from Amazon, but haven't gotten it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Spare batteries. You can never have enough batteries and memory cards.

I'd also consider the Olympus 40-150. Price is too good, at $150 new, to not have that reach in your bag.

11. KAB

KAB New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Indiana / Ohio
    Katherine
    Hmm yeah, I had trouble seeing what the differences were--I thought maybe they were the same, just from different sellers. I think reviews for both of them mention success with a G3 (though a person could have easily written a review on the wrong item!). I also checked out the rainbowimaging site and it seems that they have only one for panasonic--it is cheaper at $18.99 and there is free shipping. It doesn't list compatibility with the G3 or the GX1 (what I have) but I'm sure if you contacted them they could tell you.
    RW-221 Wireless Shutter Remote, PANASONIC DMW-RS1/RSL1 G2 G10 GF1 GF2 GH2, LEICA CR-D1 remote DIGILUX3 DIGITAL

I have a wireless remote for my Nikon D40 and I love it, but that camera has a built in sensor which may work better than any external accessory. For $19 though, I'm certainly willing to try it out!

edit: found this thread https://www.mu-43.com/f43/wireless-remote-shutter-lumix-g3-21091/

12. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I thought the same, but figured I'd rather not chance it and ordered the item from Amazon that specifically listed G3 compatibility.

Glad you pointed out the wireless shutter release. I'd have kicked myself if I bought the wired version and discovered I could have gotten a wireless version for $10-15 more.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    One note on UV filters. I don't want to get in to the quasi-religious debate over whether using filters to protect your lenses is a good idea, but it's well understood that filters can cause image problems (flare, vignetting, etc.) and that these impacts are generally greater with cheaper filters. So, if you are going to use a filter, it's worthwhile to invest a few extra dollars to get a decent one. Someone around these parts (Ned perhaps) once recommended buying "Hoya or better" and that seems like a reasonable place to draw the line for me. In my experience Hoya and B+W strike a good balance of quality and value.

One way you can save some money on filters is to stick with one size of filter and use step-up (or step-down) rings to adapt those filters to all of your lenses. In your case, that's not really an issue since all of the lenses you list take 52mm filters, so no adaptation is necessary (until GAS strikes and you add more lenses).

• Like Like x 1
  14. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    How does that save money? Wouldn't you still end up buying a filter for each lens?

Thanks. You anticipated my next question. I'm out of town and don't have my gear with me, and wasn't sure if all of my lenses were threaded for 52mm filters. :thumbup:

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you choose to you protective UV filters, then you probably would want to have one for each lens. I was referring more to the types of filters that you are not going to use every day (neutral density (ND), graduated ND, polarizers, etc.) -- those are the ones that you might want to have one of that you could share among all your lenses.

Don't quote me on that and run to the store and grab a bunch of 52mm filters. Remember that I'm and ignorant know-it-all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Obfuscation

Obfuscation New to Mu-43

Keep in mind that your polarizing filter is an ND filter, and if you are not going to do tons of outdoor shooting where you would need additional ND, you might want to save yourself the extra expense of adding the ND filter to your kit.

• Like Like x 1