1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New zoom with new om-d?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Viktor, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    With the new om-d (E-M6?) comming I guess Oly will have to launch a new weathersealed zoom aswell. What do you think?

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    But what zoom are you looking for?

3. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    A better quality weather sealed, I guess.

4. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    The Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8 are both weather sealed, fast, good build quality lenses with wonderful feedbacks and seems like users of those zooms are pretty happy with them.

I will be surprised if Oly release lenses that will directly compete with these two.

5. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I absolutely love my new 12-35 (on OM-D) and was just shooting in the rain with it yesterday :)

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The rumours say there is an ultra-wide 8-20mm f/2.8 on the way. What I just made up, because I want one.
    lens1.

7. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    haha I would want one as well if that ever comes out :biggrin: hopefully with a flat front element.

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    you'll want internal focussing next!

9. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    why not? :biggrin:

I used to have both Sigma 12-24mm and 16-35mm on my D700... both have internal focusing, UWA nut here:biggrin:

10. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I think we'll see Oly release a faster, higher quality, weather sealed standard zoom and probably a faster tele-zoom. I thought we would have seen a higher grade standard zoom released by now. If they are going to make weather sealed bodies it certainly would make sense that they release weather sealed zooms. Now if the new body can focus the extant Zuiko standard 4/3 lenses quickly we'll have many options. At this point releasing it with a new body probably makes sense.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Doubt it. For Olympus, m4/3 is about consumer zooms and primes. Good zooms aren't part of their strategy.

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Remember the effect when the OM-D was released? The media reaction introduced many people to m43 who hadn't heard of or taken it seriously before. It put m43 on the map!

Well anyway, m43 really needs a super new impressive lens to do the same thing as the OM-D did. Users of all other formats should drool over it!

13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    If they release a 12-35mm f/2.0, I'll drop my 6D/D600 thread. :biggrin:

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Even if it looks like this (not mine, but you get the idea)?! :smile:

15. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    My main reason for switching over to Fuji is the lack of fast standard zoom offerings from Olympus. 12-35 and 35-100 are too short for my needs. I need a 12-50 or 14-60 and 40-150 or 55-200 even if it had a variable aperture. I LOVE my Fuji 18-55 (14-42 MFT equivalent) and 55-200 (42-150 MFT equivalent) lenses.

Olympus needs to listen to its customer's needs more and not just keep on releasing new bodies and different colored lenses. :p

16. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm pleading that it be a 12-60 constant aperture lens, like at f4 or f3.5, etc.

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Unfortunately, Dara may be right about Olympus strategy on zoom lenses. I hope not, though.

Realistically, I would hope for a high grade 12-45 (or 12-50) with a constant f/2.8, weather sealed. With those specs, it would be an ample sized lens, but it wouldn't need to be huge. The Pany 12-35/2.8 sets a superb, if slightly short, standard for the format. My only wish for a follow up from Olympus would be to extend the long end farther than Pany did, and it wouldn't need to have OIS. Such a lens, though expensive, would easily suffice for a 1-lens walk around, covering a very useful range of focal lengths, with very high IQ.

Starting the zoom range at 12, rather than 14, is very good. I have long found the 24mm EFOV much more useful than the 28mm EFOV.

18. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wouldn't Olympus IBIS allow you to negate the aperture advantage? unless you're trying to freeze action that is.

19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    If you are chasing light, then yes. For bokeh-huggers not.

Basically only shots at max aperture make the difference worth while. Some people need maximum bokeh in every shot for some reason.

20. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Considering that bokeh is the quality of the out-of-focus areas, I'm not sure what what exactly 'maximum bokeh' means. But f/4.0 at 55mm on the Fuji gives you the ability to isolate your subject to a much greater degree than f/5.6 at 42mm on m4/3. A lot of people would find that flexibility useful.

As to low light, the Fuji is nearly a stop better by ISO 3200, and the OIS on the 18-55 in my limited testing was quite good - not enough behind the Olympus IBIS. Adding an extra stop of light means that moving subjects or no, the Fuji/18-55 kit is much happier in low light than the OM-D/kit lens, moving subject or otherwise.