New zoom lens to replace kit zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by _BG_, Jan 3, 2015.

1. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Hi all.

As you can read here, my kit zoom, Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm II, is giving me problems, so I'm seeking another one to replace it.

I own an Olympus E-PL2 and an Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm R. I plan to buy the Olympus 25mm 1.8 for the low light photos and, maybe, replace the E-PL2 for an E-PL7 (or another Olympus model, not sure about that move yet)...

Of the existing options, here's the list I have to consider:

• Olympus M. Zuiko 14-42mm II R
    • Olympus M.Zuiko 12-50mm
    • Panasonic Lumix 14-45mm
    • Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm MkII
    • Panasonic Lumix 12-32mm

What do you think mates, which will be the best choice?

I don't mind buying used, the problem is that I can't seem to find a good deal inside Europe. New they are all around 250/300€ or more, depending of the store...

Thanks in advance :smile:
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Depends what your criteria are.

For size, the 12-32 is hands down the best choice. Cost is higher than most others though.

For sharpness, the 14-45 is the top. But it's larger.

For range, the 12-50 is best, and it has a great macro mode. But it's not small nor is it as sharp as the others.

In terms of bang for the buck, the Panasonic 14-42 II is a favorite of mine. Same size as the Olympus 14-42 II, but significantly sharper and does not need to be unlocked to use. Decent build quality too, and secondhand generally quite affordable.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I agree about the P14-42 ii. I had the O12-40 for a week or so and found sharpness in the center very nearly the same. Only the corners wide open showed more sharpness than the P14-42. Since I already have the P20 and O45, I sent the O12-40 back to Olympus and kept the P14-42 ii. Great lens.
  4. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Thanks for your answers :)

I love the size of 12-32 (although I don't know about sharpness and IQ), but when you own a 40-150mm, size is not something that matters much..

As for range, I like the 12mm, but never had it so if I still don't have I won't miss it... On the end side, I don't think I'll need the extra range, since every time I think I needed it I always switched lenses...
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I like the 12-50 since I use it for it's flexibility. Otherwise I tend to use a 14mm Panasonic most.

Pros include macro, the extra 2mm on the wide end, and the overlap of 10mm between it and your 40-150 since it might mean a little less lens swapping. Also the 12-50 just about the same size as the 40-150. The 12-50 is 22 grams heavier, 6.5mm narrower at it's max.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Well, I don't shoot macro photos, so not sure if I need that... As for the 10mm overlap, never really noticed if I would benefit with that...

As for the sharpness, I'm reading a bit about the lenses I mencioned, but all of your opinions are much appreciated :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk