1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New zoom lens to replace kit zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by _BG_, Jan 3, 2015.

1. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Hi all.

As you can read here, my kit zoom, Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm II, is giving me problems, so I'm seeking another one to replace it.

I own an Olympus E-PL2 and an Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm R. I plan to buy the Olympus 25mm 1.8 for the low light photos and, maybe, replace the E-PL2 for an E-PL7 (or another Olympus model, not sure about that move yet)...

Of the existing options, here's the list I have to consider:

• Olympus M. Zuiko 14-42mm II R
    • Olympus M.Zuiko 12-50mm
    • Panasonic Lumix 14-45mm
    • Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm MkII
    • Panasonic Lumix 12-32mm

What do you think mates, which will be the best choice?

I don't mind buying used, the problem is that I can't seem to find a good deal inside Europe. New they are all around 250/300€ or more, depending of the store...

Thanks in advance :smile:

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Depends what your criteria are.

For size, the 12-32 is hands down the best choice. Cost is higher than most others though.

For sharpness, the 14-45 is the top. But it's larger.

For range, the 12-50 is best, and it has a great macro mode. But it's not small nor is it as sharp as the others.

In terms of bang for the buck, the Panasonic 14-42 II is a favorite of mine. Same size as the Olympus 14-42 II, but significantly sharper and does not need to be unlocked to use. Decent build quality too, and secondhand generally quite affordable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Thanks for your answers :) 

I love the size of 12-32 (although I don't know about sharpness and IQ), but when you own a 40-150mm, size is not something that matters much..

As for range, I like the 12mm, but never had it so if I still don't have I won't miss it... On the end side, I don't think I'll need the extra range, since every time I think I needed it I always switched lenses...

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I like the 12-50 since I use it for it's flexibility. Otherwise I tend to use a 14mm Panasonic most.

Pros include macro, the extra 2mm on the wide end, and the overlap of 10mm between it and your 40-150 since it might mean a little less lens swapping. Also the 12-50 just about the same size as the 40-150. The 12-50 is 22 grams heavier, 6.5mm narrower at it's max.

• Like Like x 1
  5. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Well, I don't shoot macro photos, so not sure if I need that... As for the 10mm overlap, never really noticed if I would benefit with that...

As for the sharpness, I'm reading a bit about the lenses I mencioned, but all of your opinions are much appreciated :) 

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.