1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Zeiss mirrorless lenses - not coming to m4/3

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dhazeghi, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looks like Zeiss will be making new AF mirrorless lenses for Sony and Fuji mount, but not from m4/3.

(Proposed lenses are 12/2.8, 30/1.8 and 50/2.8 macro).

From Zeiss's Q&A:

I suppose it's a fair statement, but still unfortunate given that m4/3 otherwise is doing very well in terms of primes and a few more would round things out nicely. Plus the cachet of the Zeiss name...

DH

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Thanks for the news, I'm frankly rather surprised. I suppose this is better than the Sigma model of designing for APS-C than converting to m43.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Though to be fair, the 1.8/30 is the only potentially interesting lens. The other two are totally pointless in the face of available lenses.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bummer, a Zeiss 9 or 10mm prime would have been very interesting.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
  6. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Well someone has to make some decent lenses for the NEX cameras :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes,
    It is a fair assessment - not pleasing to some but fair.

8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    While true, it seems a bit of a red herring.

Of all the mirrorless systems out there, excluding Leica, m43 is far and away the least in need of additional primes. While m43 is a bigger market overall, it is also the one with the most established competition. It makes sense that they would at least start out elsewhere.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Remember,
    Zeiss associated IQ with lens quality & sensor size & subsequently said absolutely nothing about market size....

10. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The statement says "concentrate initially", and "have not made a decision on that yet". I take that to mean just what they said, that they're starting out with APS-C and haven't made a decision on m43 yet. Zeiss didn't build lenses in Canon EF mount initially, because of patent issues. Perhaps there's a similar thing going on with m43.

I love Zeiss lenses. I've been using them on various cameras for 30+ years. I've been using them on my Gf1 since the day I got it. Whether they build them in m43 mount or not really doesn't matter to me. As long as there are adapters, I'm fine going that route.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No company ever tells the truth about why they make decisions. They make decisions and then create the marketing spin. Certainly possible that they're telling the truth here, but it's just as possible that their decision was purely based on market size, etc. After all, they don't hesitate to brand smaller than 4/3 sensor camera lenses with the Zeiss name, and they don't hesitate to outsource expensive manual focus lens construction to Cosina in Japan.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I never said they weren't telling the truth - all I did was agree with their assessment as being fair & state that they made no mention about market size :smile:

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It makes no difference whether they made mention about market size or not. Market size is always an important factor in such decisions.

I really like this part of what they said:

In other words, they realize that designing lenses for APS-C and then making MFT versions from those would not be optimal for the MFT system. They would need to separately design lenses for each format in order to make the most of that format. In this case, for whatever reason (whether it is market size, their stated reason, or something else), they decided to start with APS-C.

What I take from it is that if they ever do make MFT lenses, they will be lenses designed for our system (unlike Sigma's approach to date).

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Please note that my comment about market size was a response to the below post: :wink:

15. I do hope then that they won't make any lenses for the EOS M until Canon can come up with an APS-C sensor that outdoes the one in the E-M5 (which is also a fair assessment :smile:).

• Like Like x 1
  16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I subscribe to this opinion....

I don't see Leica branding on Olympus lenses..... this stuff happens all the time.

17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I find that hard to accept, having worked for a major UK bank for nearly forty years! :rofl:

18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I would venture a guess that Zeiss is taking a very long view of the market, and they feel that current issues with NEX, Fuji, and probably Samsung are relatively transient. This is not a bad bet to make. Consider the implications if they're planning for a market that is five years from now, keeping in mind that m4/3 was introduced four years ago. Zeiss clearly feels that time should be spent on APS-C type cameras, though I'm surprised they name Fuji rather than Samsung.

19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    So why didn't they stop at full frame? :biggrin:

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ask Zeiss - they're the ones that made the APS-C statement, not me :smile: