New Zealand - GX8 with free lens and CM1 phone!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by listers_nz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The price is in line with camera only cost in the US dollars. Not a bad deal at all!

I'm sure they haven't sold many phones. It's a mediocre and chunky phone other than the sensor.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sounds like quite a deal. I looked at the CM1 but it's clearly a 1st gen attempt and TBH, I'm not even sure it makes sense. A good phone plus a Sony RX100 is probably a better bet.

4. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Do you have a link? I can't find that offer on their web site. I want to know if Australia will be offering it too.

5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    The links are in the original post, and the bit you quoted - note these are links to Photo Warehouse (a NZ retailer) not to the Panasonic website (not sure if it is a Panasonic promotion or just something specific to this retailer)

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Dang!

I'm keeping my eye on that phone, hopefully it will hit rock bottom.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Well when it was released, it had specifications that basically matched the top of the line phones. Slightly smaller screen than many, but with the same 1080p panel. The Snapdragon 801 was used in the Galaxy S5 and all the contemporary flagships. It has plenty of RAM, SD expandability, a relatively large battery - and obviously, that huge sensor and lens. With the exception of its chunkiness, there was nothing at all to complain about it as a phone. It was high end in every sense.

The main issue is that 1.5 years since it was announced is forever in the churn-and-burn instant-turnover world of high end phones. Their tentative entry into the market and extremely high price point didn't do it any favours at all.

I would have loved to have bought it when it was new for the price they're selling it for now. There's still very little to complain about it, but it's just hard to spend that much on something that will be obsolete that much faster.

I do hope they introduce a CM2 with the lessons that they've learned, at a less premium price point. It doesn't even need the full 1" sensor if they add OIS... And a removable battery!

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Actually I'd argue that the RAM is the weakest point of the CM1, as well as the Android version. For it's time, no self-respecting "high-end" phones were being released with KitKat.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I guess 2GB is maybe marginal. 3GB would have been better, you're right. OS-wise, it was updated to Lollipop, though.

To be honest, having followed the full progression of Android versions from 4.2.2 up to 5.1.1 with my Nexus 4 - and as soon as those updates were released by Google, since it's a Nexus - I can't point to a dramatic improvement in the UI over the course of that time. Android was already pretty well baked. There have been a few little improvements here and there, but battery life would come and go with the version, and most of the new features were exceptionally minor.

Now on an LG G4, and several of the little customizations that LG has made are actually more useful than most of the progressions that made it to stock AOSP Android in that entire intervening period. Most people rail against OEM skinning, but maybe it's because the G4 has performance to burn, but I'm certainly not seeing them as a big compromise.