New York State of Mind.. GF1 / G1

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hello All,

I made a weekend trip to New York City. I visit frequently and decided to do some documentary shots from a perspective one might not otherwise get.

Save for residents, few ever see the NYC skyline from the rooftops of the lower East Side. These are the everyday things I tried to capture.

Rooftop shots are from the Gramercy East between 22nd & 23rd at 2nd.

This is the first post of a series, the full size images are here with EXIF info:

MobileMe Gallery

Gallery at MU-43 is here: New York State of Mind - Mu-43 Gallery

G1 / 14-45 - 45-200

Skyline 7:30 AM. looking West

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Chrysler building

Chrysler building Tip

City Slice at 14mm. From the school on 23rd toward horizon.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
More From the Gramercy Area

More from the area around the Gramercy.

Full Size with EXIF : MobileMe Gallery

A standard apartment building from floor 17. Corner of 22nd and 1st.

One of my favorite breakfast spots. The Lyric Diner. 22nd & 2nd.

The entrance to an opulent apartment building overlooking Gramercy Park.

The Empire State building

Empire State Building "tip". 200mm

petach

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice shots of my favourite city

Great shots from another perspective. NYC is my favourite and I am there from London for the umpteenth time on 1st April with my new Panasonic GF2. Can't wait to see how it performs.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Nice Alan ... watch your horizon line ... many of the images look a bit tilted. The tip of the Empire State Building is my fav ... great detail, great crispness ... if there was an ape on it you'll be able to count its whiskers.

Gary

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
I'm shocking for this. I'm forever rotating images about 1 or 2 degrees to get them right. Maybe I need one big shoe and one little shoe.
lol ... join the club ... I do have the grid lines on the GF1 which helps ... but I still spend a ton of time picking out horizontal and/or vertical lines from the image then lining up the crop box ... fortunately I've found beer will make the process much less painful.

Gary

Real Name
Nic
... fortunately I've found beer will make the process much less painful.

Gary
Maybe that is the solution for getting the horizons straight in the first place. It might be like playing pool where there is an optimum consumption level. Too little and you're thinking too hard, too much and you're not thinking at all, but get it just right and you play like a legend.

apicius9

Mu-43 Veteran
Maybe that is the solution for getting the horizons straight in the first place. It might be like playing pool where there is an optimum consumption level. Too little and you're thinking too hard, too much and you're not thinking at all, but get it just right and you play like a legend.
Same with darts :smile:

Great pictures, NYC is such a buzzing place. Not sure if I would want to live there but I love visiting. Nothing that signifies 'America' more to me than the skyline.

Stefan

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Alan that is an impressive city, much different to what I see where I live. How on earth do you find your way around those streets?

Impressed at how clean the red carpet is.

I dunno wether I could handle living there. I woulnd't have anywhere to ride my go-kart or do burn outs in my car. One good point I guess if you lived in one of those high houses you could see how far your paper planes could fly.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
New York State of Mind

I'm glad you guys liked them...

There are more to post, I was waiting to determine the interest level. It seems NYC is a popular place to ogle.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Alan

Real Name
Nic
Sorry, I got a bit sidetracked there, Alan. Great set of shots, I was quite impressed with the detail from the 45-200mm. NY is definitely on my list of must-see places to visit one day.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Nice shots Alan. That Lyric diner looks a lot like the exterior shot they used on Seinfeld for the diner where those characters were always eating. There are probably 40 of them in New York that look almost like that though...

-Ray

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Nice shots Alan. That Lyric diner looks a lot like the exterior shot they used on Seinfeld for the diner where those characters were always eating. There are probably 40 of them in New York that look almost like that though...

-Ray
Hello Ray,

The are several hundred of them. Many blocks have two, placed on the diagonal corners.

The Lyric is very close by, and it's 24/7.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
45-200 very under appreciated

Sorry, I got a bit sidetracked there, Alan. Great set of shots, I was quite impressed with the detail from the 45-200mm. NY is definitely on my list of must-see places to visit one day.
Hi Nic,

The 45-200 has to be the most under rated lens in the native 4/3 group.

I've gotten terrific results from it and made a point to post a lens test gallery shot down in Westport, Ma.

For the price the 45-200 is a wonder!

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Nice Alan ... watch your horizon line ... many of the images look a bit tilted.

Gary
Gary, Michael, at the mojito bar, told me that was how the horizon looks in NY.
After we'd been there for three hours, he said he was surprised I could still see the horizon.

At 14mm, there's some tumble from the top. If you aren't carefully standing dead center to the architectural linear perspective it's hard to adjust.

I always shoot with guide lines, sometimes though it gets a little screwy.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom