1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New York City

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by s0nus, Jun 27, 2012.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    A couple months back me and the missus did a weekend trip to NYC.

I've already shared some framed shots in Central Park, patterned ceilings, museum butterflies, and a few street shots.

Below are some more from the trip. I hope you enjoy!

Comments and constructive criticism are most emphatically welcomed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All shots were taken with my EPL1, 14-42mI, Zuiko 40-150, and 20mm.

• Like Like x 24
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Well heck, I think I'd be pretty happy coming home from a trip with shots like that! Quite a few I really like in there, though I think my favorites are the first two.

The building shots didn't do much for me, felt like it was missing something, maybe some context like sky or a wider FOV, not sure. The shots of the Statue of Liberty were nicely framed, I thought. Cool stuff!

There's my $0.02 as some random guy on the Internet that likes photography :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    s0nus, this is a great set of photos. You have a wonderful eye for composition.

My favorite is #1 with the forceful diagonal line and the shift from clarity to the bokeh dissolve. Other favorites are 6, 12, 16, 17 and 21. You have many wonderful compositions, but you should use the camera's grid screen to assist you to compose your shots parallel to the edges of the picture frame. This is a repeating issue in many of these photos. Their essence would be greatly enhanced with this adjustment in shooting.

I must confess I had this same error during my shoot last Friday. I would have had some great shots, but they were not level and correcting in post production would have altered them to drastically. I always intend to have the grid on, but unfortunately it was inadvertently turned off. I didn’t notice

Understand I am not diminishing your work, but merely trying to assist you with technique.

For most images with vertical or horizontal elements it is essential to have a dominant 90 degree vertical or horizontal element (line or plane), depending on the pictures orientation. That element provides visual stability anchoring or grounding the image. Again that is something you should attend to while composing the image. Orient as many lines as possible to the edges. Usually at least one dominant line should be parallel to the edge. Sometimes when shooting converge convergence with the space getting narrower, as in your buildings. You can use perspective crops to edit these.

I just finishing up an example in PhotoShop of the church with the original and one corrected for perspective pasted side-by-side that I was going to post here, by my ancient 2003 version CS version crashed now. I’ve stayed up too late with this and must get to bed. If I find some spare time I’ll redo it and post.

One final comment. I mentioned before that I really like the portrait. My initial impression was focus could have used a bit more DOF. I opened it in PhotoShop and it did look better than your posting. You shot at 1/6 sec, F/1.7, ISO 1600. Generally you will have a better image stopping down even a single step. You were certainly pushing the capacity of your IS. If your camera had ISO steps between 1600 and 3200 I would have opted for the slightly smaller aperture and a higher ISO.

Keep shooting and the quality of your fine work will get even better.

-Chrome

• Like Like x 2
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    love the composition, very comfortable, thanks for the view!

• Like Like x 1
  5. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    First of all, thank you very much for the feedback. I appreciate the time you put into providing the criticism, and want to do it justice by understanding it and implementing it in the future.

And so, please help me understand your point. Are you essentially describing problems with dominant lines not running parallel with the edges of the frame, either due to perspective or skewed horizons?

For example:
    • shot 15 is slightly tilted by a few degrees counter clockwise. Normally I fix these sorts of issues, but seem to have missed it on this shot.
    • As you point out, the building shots (7, 8, and 9) all slightly converge towards the top due to perspective. I can straighten these lines a bit in post, and I will in fact try to do so.
    • Shot 22 is a little distorted horizontally due to perspective as well. I tweaked this one a bit actually to fix it, but going any further would have forced me to crop too much.

Am I on the right track here in identifying the images that you refer to? If not, can you point out a few examples in my images?

I'm really sorry to hear that. Again, I appreciate the time you put in, even though, due to software issues, it was for naught!

My E-PL1 doesn't generate good results beyond 1600, unfortunately, otherwise I definitely would have. The 20mm is a godsend in that respect!

Thank you! That is absolutely my intention, and it is the fundamental reason for posting my images here.

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Apology :frown:

s0nus,

My apologies. I'm afraid I was looking through my eyes rather than yours. However, what I said about dominant vertical or horizontal elements remains the same.

IMO some of your images are visually too busy, with to much information for to process. Often, "Less is More" as many try to demonstrate with their photos in the "wabi sabi" thread

The 3 vertical lines in the "V"-shape and the elevator's reflection are, or mostly square to the base, but the entire composition appears to be leaning to the left. I have placed blue guidelines over your image (left) to show where modifications. I used the perspective crop to make the right edge of elevator perpendicular to base. This converted the space between and the frame's edge into a rectangle, which anchors the composition on the right.

Finally I cropped the extraneous diagonal line to the bottom left of "V" anchoring the composition to the frames bottom. IMO the new composition much more stable.

Your call on this one. The second blue line is your vertical, the first is the point (beginning) that I made the perspective crop. IMO, mine is more visually stable. but at the cost of removing the shadow at left that defines your curve.

In your image with the guide lines, is right on square with slight distortion at top. I tried to square your vertical lines that bend to the center. In doing so it destroyed the uplifting essence of yours. Good call.

19_.

The left tilt of the original composition gave the illusion to me that the center axis was off square since the red area was not level. I used a perspective crop to level the composition along the red border. I liked the feel of yours better. I then ran a horizontal guide line on yours to discover that yours was level across the window tops.

As I stated at the beginning of my first thread "You have a wonderful eye for composition." Hopefully see the greater concept I was trying to stress, where in my opinion I was correct or misguided.

Keep up the good work.

-Chrome

• Like Like x 1
  7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    sOnus - thanks for sharing such a great set of photographs. I particularly like the Empire State building lobby, the Statue of Liberty series, and a number of the more detail-focused image (flag behind the fence and eye mosaic in the subway station). You have a really good eye for great composition and lighting. And you are using your E-PL1 to good advantage!

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheCreativeD00m

TheCreativeD00m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Grey photos especially like the crop of the statue of liberty. I'm hoping to make it out that way next month as well. I love how it truly is a melting pot