New Years resolution - resist GAS

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by thomastaesu, Dec 31, 2012.

1. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Well, I am having an episode of GAS. I have Om-d, PL25, Oly14-150. And, PL25 is on there 80% of the time.

I was sure my next purchase was gonna be Oly45, but I have Nikon 50mm1.8 with to m43 adaptor, and I remembered that I did not like 50mm FOV on cropped body(80mm) that much anyway.

Now, I am considering :

1. Rokinon 7.5
    2. p14 or O12
    3. O60 or O75

What should my next purchase be???

I am considering selling my zoom off, but I think I will miss its versatility if it is gone.
  2. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    The real question is, what do you shoot most/want to shoot most? The 14-150 is a lens I've wanted to have as a do-all zoom, but I've not been able to buy one yet, it seems like it would be awfully handy to have though.

If you're into macro, get the O60 or P45. For portraits you might want something like the O45, but probably NOT the P14 or O12. I wouldn't get something just because it's a good lens, I would try to get something I'm likely to use, so what do you want to be doing/see yourself using alot?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    The P14 would be my choice.

Cheap, very good optically and would round out the kit nicely for when you want a small setup. I think every m43 kit should have at least one of the pancake lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The 14mm is very useful and the Rokinon is a fun lens. I'm happy that my GAS is pretty much under control. I like the gear I have and the only lens that I would like to add is the Olympus 75mm - and I can't afford it. :biggrin: So, I'm fairly safe. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm deeply conflicted right now. I have a slightly too large full frame kit, considering the subject matter I like shooting with it. The 100-400 in particular is sort of a 'pure luxury' lens that only really gets used on holidays where there's wildlife to shoot. I think I should head out to the zoo with that and the E-M5 with the 100-300 and see how they compare. Because I'm using the MFT more and more, and it will be the primary travel companion most times.

I figure I could trade in the 100-400, Canon 15/2.8 fisheye, Sigma 105/2.8 macro (though that ain't worth much), 50/1.8 mk I and put the money towards the Oly 75, Pana 25 and maybe the 12-35. Maybe even sell the Canon 17-40.

Of the glass listed above, the 14/2.5 is a no-brainer. Tiny, sharp, fast AF, and did I mention it was tiny?
    • Like Like x 1