NEW (Year) 72-hr blue ribbon challenge:

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
First and foremost, I wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year! To my Pinoy countrymen, please try not to lose any of your fingers by recklessly playing with fireworks (Remember that you definitely need your fingers to handle your camera).

Thanks again woof for the win! Totally unexpected.

Without further ado, the topic I choose to welcome 2013 is "Lightbeams and Fireworks". I realize that not everyone is into shooting fireworks so I figured a good substitute would be any photo that prominently features a beam of light. It could be a ray of sun or strobe lights so as long as there is an actual BEAM (see below for example).

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekimrd/8194841469/" title="Nocturnals by yekimrd, on Flickr"> View attachment 248691 "1024" height="768" alt="Nocturnals"></a>

Hope you all have fun with this challenge. I'll name the winners sometime the evening of January 3 (US time).

Please refer to the comprehensive list of previous topics and winners via the link below:

https://www.mu-43.com/f48/72-hour-challenge-hall-fame-2012-a-35382/

72 Hour Challenge Rules

As the title suggests, each challenge lasts for 72 hours. Everyone gets to submit 2 photos in line with the chosen theme. The winner of the previous challenge gets to choose the new theme (topics can be anything under the sun) and serves as the judge for his/her 72-hour challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own 72-hour challenge. Instead, he/she should post up to 2 photos as examples to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a blue ribbon winner, a runner-up, and 1 honorable mention. As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu43 rules/regulations, by participating in this thread you are allowing the judge to repost your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners for the 72-hr Blue Ribbon Challenge.

atomic

Mu-43 Veteran

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
From my home.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/73403162@N00/8256787859/" title="P1080264-Edit.jpg by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr">
8256787859_90f3144a09_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"1024" height="768" alt="P1080264-Edit.jpg"></a>

This "Dalek" christmas tree have zapped my G2 sensor and forced me to get G5.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8350311398/" title="P1080745-Edit.jpg by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr">
8350311398_9119fd7a87_b.jpg
"774" height="1024" alt="P1080745-Edit.jpg"></a>

For noon doctor Who followers - Dalek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
Excellent entries thus far. Hoping for a bit more participation to welcome the New Year. :)

Pim

Mu-43 Regular
No fireworks (our New Year's Eve was wet and cold), but a bit of sunshine recorded around Christmas while waiting for a good dinner in a restaurant in Malta...:)

Malta.jpg

Jazztrumpet5

Mu-43 Regular
No fireworks (our New Year's Eve was wet and cold), but a bit of sunshine recorded around Christmas while waiting for a good dinner in a restaurant in Malta...:)

Malta.jpg
That light is beautiful!

Panut

Mu-43 Regular
New year fireworks on the streets of Espoo

Just before midnight, I left for a local bar.
I put my RX100 in my coat pocket - just in case - and as soon as I got on the streets, I felt regret for not taking E-M5 with me. However, Sony did the job, even in the rain.

More street photography than fireworks photography, but fireworks were surely involved:

DSC02646.jpg

DSC02619.jpg

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yesterday,New years day,Solana Beach,California.One of more intense sunsets I've ever seen.A great way to start the new year.
E-M5,PL25mm

2-bag_1_of_1_-2.jpg

1-bag_1_of_1_2.jpg

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Was at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts yesterday to see Dale Chihuly's glass exhibition.

P1010327-L.jpg

badcatgary

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeremy
Eiffel Tower:

P1050826.jpg

P1050864.jpg

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
I think I'll extend the challenge by another 18-24hrs to encourage more participation.:smile:

atomic

Mu-43 Veteran
Really? There are some great photos here already (and I don't mean mine). Why not pick a winner and move on to the next contest?

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
Really? There are some great photos here already (and I don't mean mine). Why not pick a winner and move on to the next contest?

I was just hoping for 3 pages in the thread but I'll call it in a few hours.

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
Not a lot of entries but it was all about quality rather than quantity. Before I hop on a 6-hr plane ride to Vegas, I wanted to announce the winners for the 72-hr challenge: Lightbeams and Fireworks.

HM goes to...

digitalandfilm
8331175269_d2514c428c_b.jpg

Great PP work here. Hang-worthy in my opinion.

Runner-up goes to...
Pim
Malta.jpg

Another outstanding b&w image, my friend.

And the winner of the 72-hr New Yr challenge is...
P1050826.jpg

Majestic image. Nuff said.

Congrats to everyone! Can't wait for the next challenge.

Latest threads

Top Bottom