New wotancraft scout bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by orwell, Jan 8, 2016.

1. orwell

orwell Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 29, 2012
    I've just got my scout bag from wotancraft so I thought I'd share my first reactions to it. As I know a lot of people seem to be looking for a bag for the 40-150 pro. Anyway I'd been looking for a new bag to hold a em1, 12-40 and 40-150. Plus a mini iPad and a bit of kit batteries etc.
    I ordered it with the water proof insert for those wet days out. So my photos show both inserts with all my kit in plus a aircraft scanner and aerial.
    From the out side it looks great and really well put together. But it would of been nice to have had pockets on the ends. The front two pockets easier hold my scanner and six AA batteries in one and five camera batteries, three SD cards and a cleaning cloth in the other.
    My iPad mini fits easily into the inside back pocket. Stand the iPad up and you could put another in there as well. So a ten inch iPad will fit as well. I don't think the outside back pocket will be much use to me. You might get a thin magazine in there if you use the water proof insert. I think a iPad would fit with the normal insert being used.
    The 40-150 with lens hood fits easily into both inserts when not on camera. And on camera in the normal insert as there is a little bit more depth to it. My 12-40, 45mm, grip and flash all fit easily into the remaining space.
    I found the water proof insert a little fiddly to do the zip up as its slightly lower than the outside zip. But I don't think it's a problem just something to get use to.
    Tomorrow it gets used. So I'll add more as I go along if anyone interested.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Alan Yuen

Alan Yuen Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 9, 2015
    Very nice! Let us know how comfortable it is to use, I have the wotancraft paratrooper which uses the same shoulder strap but gear feels very heavy when worn crossbody
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Nice! I would like to hear your ongoing thoughts about the bag. Thank you in advance.

Post-Script: I would be interested in hearing how that strap does carrying a fully loaded bag.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    It's a looker. Good luck with it.
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Take a look at the OpTech SOS strap. I use one on my Tom Bihn Maker's Bag and it feels wonderful. The stretchy neoprene pad helps to cushion the feeling of weight on your shoulders. Doesn't make it lighter, but helps to make it feel lighter. :)

OP/TECH USA S.O.S. Strap
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I picked one up as well and it was a tad small for the gear that I wanted to carry in it, so it found a new home for someone wanting to carry their M with 3 lenses.

Craftsmanship wise it's amazing. Nicely made, zippers are top notch.

The bag is more form than function in my opinion. It's not a quick open bag but he contents are secure once placed inside. If you're not doing a lot of lens changes or removing and inserting the camera it's great. Sadly I like to tinker a lot so it's not a great bag for me but it's good for a lot of people. Also it's missing some touches that more modern, functional bags have like the Ona Bags. They're both great looking bags but missing some touches.

I ordered the Tenba Cooper 13 slim which looks nice (not as nice as the Wotancraft or the Ona) but has some nice touches (zippered top opening, side pockets with zippers, enough pockets, etc).
  7. orwell

orwell Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 29, 2012
    i agree it is missing a few small touches like somewhere dedicated to storing batteries and memory cards. in the water proof insert it has a pocket that is velcroed to the inside of the lid. it feels like a after thought to be honest. its ok for a few memory cards but thats it. well it got a little test today and considering how wet its been today in Cambridgeshire. no problem at all with it or my EM1 40-150 while standing in the rain. i do find the strap comfortable but find the clips and loops a little noisy.
  8. orwell

orwell Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 29, 2012
    well ive used it on a few days out now. i find it comfortable to carry all day and the buckles are bedding in so its easier to open. the water proof insert is still a pain to open as the zip is lower than the outer zip. and having two lids to zip up is a faff. think i'll be using just the normal insert.
  9. orwell

orwell Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 29, 2012
    well i've used this bag now for about a month. and it been used in all weather with no issues at all. but now i've had lovely letter from fedex telling me that i owe £32 in customs duty. plus wotancraft have just put their prices up by about £30. so the total i paid with £32 in customs duty is now about £240. and anyone buying a scout bag now would be paying about £270. i'm not sure i'd spend that much on one if i'm honest. luckily i'm happy with it, but would i say it was that holy grail of bags. maybe not but for traveling light with a em1,12-40,40-150,45mm prime and a ipad mini. plus as small amount of kit batterys etc. it comes close for me.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016