1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New workout buddies

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    My buddy Bob and I have been workout buddies for 15 years. We enjoy helping newbies develop routines for free weights, and particularly like introducing ladies to the bench press, which is generally a Testosterone Zone. Vannah, one the left, and Maria have been joining us on a regular basis.

CAM05800-lr.

CAM05805-lr.

Maria is maxing out at 165 lbs., about 25 lbs. over her body weight, and Vannah is at 95 lbs. after just 1 month. They draw quite a crowd when they bench with us.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Cool stuff Frank, nice shots too.

My wife competed in powerlifting and previously held the national bench press record for the 97lb class. She still lifts weights regularly including bench, so I know exactly what you mean about drawing a crowd at the gym on bench day :biggrin: Definitely a great exercise for both men and women, it's a shame there's so much traditional bias toward it being a "men's exercise"!

3. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Thanks. Your wife must be quite an athlete. What was her bench press record weight?

4. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    We joke she has mutant genes in her family - if you met her father you'd understand - haha. I'm not able to check right now, so don't quote me but I believe her record lift was between 120-125lbs (this was with no Inzer bench shirt, since she hates them). Nowadays she puts up about 150-160lbs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Whew. I'm probably twice her weight, so I'm relieved to hear she doesn't out bench me. :redface: Please give her my regards.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    hahahah I know the feeling. Good incentive for me to stay in shape :biggrin:

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    They definitely look to be enjoying themselves - good for you! :cool: