1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New with questions

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by gardengirl13, Jun 26, 2012.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    I saw a link to this forum on POTN and thought I'd come over.

My health has been dictating most of my life the last bunch of years. I've been a hobby photographer since I took my first shot with an A1 when I was 5. I went digital in 2006, with a canon 30D, tried the 50D and hated it, now I have the 60D which I thought would stink, but I REALLY like it. In 2009 my health started getting worse and a few people on POTN recommended the micro 4/3 cameras. I hate to say it but I wasn't impressed at all. I sold all my nice glass and bought cheaper lenses in the hopes of trying to stick with photography without having to go down to a p&s. I had the G11 for a year and liked it, but the photos still looked to "point and shooty" to me. Last week I stumbled on again and saw some posts about the OMD. I can't believe how nice that camera looks! In just 3 short years! So now I'm trying to convince myself to buy it. Well not convince myself so much, as to try to FIND one, and see how it fits. I worry about the size and how my hands will handle it, my husband wants me to try it before buying, but no one anywhere has one, so it'd have to be buy then return if it doesn't fit right.

My problems/questions are

1- this will be my ONLY camera, meaning I can't afford to keep both systems would going "down" from a DSLR be too hard

2- I hate the current prices, I've even seen some used selling for $100+ more then new! Sure they're not in stock anywhere, and who knows how long a wait there is. But even the lenses are out of stock in a lot of places. I don't want to buy the lenses I want and not get the camera for 6 months.

3- if this is going to my only camera should I get the OMD and settle for nothing less, or would a different camera be just as good at half the price?

4- to get the better glass it seems the weight and size is too much, is the cheaper small glass still great?

5- I shoot things that may not work with this camera system. This past weekend I shot in the woods at ISO6400 wide open and still couldn't get the shot i wanted. I shoot my husbands band in dark bars (less and less now with my health) there it's normally ISO3200 and really pushing the lenses. I shoot birds, but with my current lens it's very hard. I worry with the OMD it'll be even worse. Sure it's not something I shoot all the time, but when every night at 7pm a heron flies over our house to go to the pond up the hill I'd like to get a shot of him. I shoot bugs and butterflies too with this lens and get frustrated at it's slowness and lack of great focusing. Will the OMD be worse then this? (just so some of you who came from canon know it's the 55-250- not a great lens, but better then I thought it'd be.)

6- With my A1 I shot 50mm for years. Never really needing more. Then I found you could buy the old FD lenses still and I then started shooting 35-50-85 with my others used, but much less. Now I use the 10-22, 28 prime, and 55-250 a lot. I use the 28-105 as my walk around. But I'm tried of the weight. I worry that going to M4/3 I'll want the best IQ possible but that'll mean primes only. Will the zooms be good in less then good light? If I'm on an easy walk in the woods and don't want the weight or hassle of three primes will the 12-50 be ok? I know this camera has good high ISO, but is it enough?

OK I guess I'll stop there. First post and I'm already wearing out my welcome! I guess I'm just frustrated with my health and I'm worried about switching systems. But I'm also excited with the prospect of being able to have my camera with me more, and enjoying myself and making shooting more fun and less about how my back and hands feel.

2. mono55

mono55 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    I've no experience of the Olympus micro 4/3 cameras, so I can't say whether the OM-D E-M5 would be your ideal camera. Until last September I was using a Canon EOS 30D, but had struggled with it since I broke my right pinkie at the end of 2007. After two ops it was still pretty mangled and by last summer I realised I couldn't cope with the size and weight of the camera and lenses anymore. So I sold the 30D and my precious Sigma 105mm macro lens to fund the buying of a Panasonic Lumix G3 with the kit lens.

It was the best thing I've ever done and I'm really enjoying photography again. At Christmas my hubby bought me the 45-200mm lens and my kids got me the 20mm f/1.7. In April I was able to add the Leica 45mm macro to the collection, so I feel I'm covered now for all the subjects I like to shoot.

Micro 4/3's quality may not be as good as the high end DSLRs but they are getting better all the time and I don't think you will be disappointed with the results you will obtain as a seasoned photographer.

Kat

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Do you not want to go back to the 35-50-85mm you used to use? Those old FD lenses will work marvelously on the E-M5 with a simple adapter, but will not have autofocus. Or if you need autofocus, why not get the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux, m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, and m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 instead?

Yes, in many ways these lenses will greatly out-perform the m.Zuiko 12-50mm kit zoom, but that's just the way things go. If you really want zoom but want it in a better quality, faster lens, then hold out for the Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 which is just out. Later on in the year you'll be able to get the Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8 to complement it. These lenses are all weather sealed to match your sealed OM-D body.

Or, if you really want zoom, still want superior image quality and decent lens speed, but don't care as much about Autofocus performance, then you can get one of the Four-Thirds zooms like the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II (CDAF optimized with the fastest AF for a Four-Thirds fast zoom on an OM-D), and the Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 (SWD or non-SWD version - doesn't matter on an OM-D, but did matter on an E-VOLT). There are even better top-pro Zuiko zooms (including the fastest zoom lenses in the world, with constant f/2 apertures), but these "High-Grade" lenses provide the best balance of speed, size, and affordability. These lenses are also all weather sealed to match your OM-D body.

There's nothing to be scared of, moving away from your old system. Your options are quite broad.

4. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Thanks guys. Kat sounds like you really enjoy the M43, that's great! Ned, right now my plans are to try to get similar to my FD set-up. I had 1 crappy zoom that I had just in case, then I used primes for 98% of the time. I want the 12-50 zoom as my walk around when I can't carry anything extra (when we walk I carry a small bag, a water bottle, the camera and a cane) trying to switch lenses is hard to balance everything. Sometimes lesser photos are better then no photos. Right now I bring the 60D with the 55-250 on it, and the 10-22 for other things. When I get more comfortable with the M43 I may do the same, bring the zoom and two smaller primes.

I'm looking at the 14mm, 20mm, and 45 1.8. I may go with the 12mm instead of the 14 and the 25 instead of the 20. I want to see how wide I'll like this camera. I hear that there is a banding issue with the 20 in the dark, so that's pushing me towards the 25.

The problems with primes now, is my movement is limited, zooms just work better for that reason. Right now there is no way I can afford the 12-35 and 35-100. I'd probably be happy with the 12-50 (as long as I can really make it work well for me) and the 100-300. I never liked the 70-200 range. I used the 85 and the 200, but only used my 135 maybe 2-3 times before selling it. I like middle then longer (50 then 200+) I never used much in between. With my 55-250 I wish it could go wider or longer, I normally don't use it in the middle.

What I'm most scared of is the lack of things being easy to access while shooting. I like the ISO, shutter speed/f/stop right on top where I can get them very quick. I like how second nature it is to me. I don't have to think when shooting.

Kat how was that transition for you? Is it easy to go from the 30D to everything being in the menu?