New with Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hsw21, Nov 26, 2014.

1. hsw21

hsw21 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Hi Guys
    Im a newbie in Olympus world.
    I just have a little question regarding their PEN model, EP, EPL and EPM.
    My understading is that the EP is their top of the line (in PEN series) ?, EPL is the Lite version of the EP (Im assuming less feature ?). and EPM is the mini version of the EP ?
    Thats my understanding of those variety of PEN series Oly.
    Am I right about it ? And what model suitable for certain use ?
    Thanks.

2. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    The PM2 and the PL5 are essentially the same camera with a couple key features difference. The key differences being a tilting screen and mode dial on the PL5 (and maybe an extra function button?). That being said, all of the cameras from that generation (EP5, OMD EM5, E PM2, E PL5) all use the same sensor so image quality should be roughly the same. The most recent generation is the PL7 which adds a screen that flips all the way for selfies and 3 axis stabilization. I think the PM model got the axe.

The EP5 on the other hand has 5 axis stabilization and more manual controls. It's a more fully featured camera than the PL7. The cool thing is a used one can be found for about the same price as the PL7. I think if you're a hobbyist, the PL version is great as it combines small size, tilting screen (which I use a ton) and great image quality. However, if it were my money I would go with a used EP5 or a Panasonic GX7 for the same price as a new PL7. You can also find used PL5's for high 200's or low 300's as well.

3. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Yes, you have it. The P has more manual controls and features. The PM is stripped down and smaller. The PL is in between.

The numbering has been logical but a little irregular. The order of introductions was E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1, E-PL1s, E-PL2, E-P3, E-PL3, E-PM1, E-PL5, E-PM2, E-P5, E-PL6, E-PL7.

Of course, there is also the OM-D line (E-M5, E-M1, E-M10), which uses the same Micro Four Thirds lenses as the PEN line and includes a built-in electronic viewfinder.

The best camera for you depends on what features you want.

4. hsw21

hsw21 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Thanks guys for replying.
    So, lets say I need everyday camera that I bring with me all the time, which model is better for that purpose, Im assuming its between the two, the EPL or EPM, right ?
    Whats your choice ? Oh, just for info, Im gonna use the 17mm lens.
    Thanks Guys.

5. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    The E-PM2 is a bit smaller than the E-PL5 or E-PL7, but it doesn't have the tilting screen. For a camera that you really want in your pocket all the time, you may want to look at collapsing-lens cameras such as the XZ-2 or XZ-10. If you want a Pen's image quality, the E-PM2 and 17mm/2.8 pancake lens make a very portable combination.

6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    shermanshen wrote a lot about the functionalities and general differences.

i had a PM1, then after a year I switched to PL5, mostly due to more Mp, more controls and more functions. Currently, i plan on upgrading, because i want certain functions that newer generations or OMD models have (weather-proofing, wifi, 1/8000 shutter speed, etc).
    A lot of people go my/similar route (actually, i went their route), because they enjoy photography and technology they have is limiting them. That said, a lot of it is illusion and people think better cameras will make them better photographers (e.g. i still don't utilize my camera to the fullest but want to upgrade).

General rule is to buy better lenses as they lose less value if you're selling them later on. With camera bodies, you lose more. Especially because Olympus makes upgrades every 2 years. My advice would be to get a used E-PM2, to see if you're serious about the hobby. It is a low end model, but it has essentially the same sensor and same amount of Mp that other current PEN/OMD models have. A lot of them are being sold here on the Buy&Sell forum, for around $150. Then if you see you're being cramped due to it being too small, lacking certain functions that expensier cameras have etc etc, you can upgrade, while not losing a lot of value on reselling it (or giving it to friends/family members).

For size comparison, try http://camerasize.com/compare/#382,387 (and then go to the dropdown menu to look for other comparisons, such as E-P5, which is a tremendeous machine and can be found used for $450 here).