1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New vs Old Olympus 40-140mm. Any difference?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by okinana, Dec 23, 2011.

1. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Is there a thread on this? Is there any difference other than price and physical appearance? Is the IQ the same? How about the AF?

Thanks.

2. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Do you mean 40-150? It's a toy a like, doesn't weight anything, but works like charm. I have only R-version, but it supposed to be identical IQ vise to the older one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes. Sorry about the typo error. So no big difference? The new version is selling for $199 and the old one for $149. I have $199 but if there's not much diff, I might just go for the cheaper one.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Sample pics are here

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-40-150mm-f-4-5-6-image-thread-8166/

I don't think there are separate threads for model revisions. The new ones might be quieter for video work but other than that I haven't seen anyone raving about one lens over the other (unlike the 14-42mkII kit which is faster and quieter than the original but optically pretty much the same).

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    They are the same. The R has a ring to cover the hood mount (hence "R" = Ring). They are both MSC certified, have same firmware v.1 with same AF speed. Hopefully the firmware will be updated to v1.1 like it was for 14-150 and 14-42 II (and R) to enable even faster AF.
    By the way, those who have R version can you pleasr dig into some exif to look if R symol even recorded? My guess is that the camera can't distinguish between these two lenses cause they're the same inside optically and electronically.

6. ptan55

ptan55 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    Amherst, NY
    The EXIF on my pics say:

Olympus M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    IQ is the same. AF is the same. The only difference is the styling and the price.

DH

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    How about firmware version? V.1.0?

9. ptan55

ptan55 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    Amherst, NY
    See attached...

Attached Files:

• EXIF.JPG
      EXIF.JPG
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
  10. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    The 40-150R doesn't have the trim ring like the 14-42R. I had both the previous versions, sold them and got the R versions for the same price I sold the others for. One, I like hunting for bargains, and two, I was anticipating getting a E-P3 and figured it should have the matching (latest) lenses. I plugged the E-PL2 lens/camera combos into the Oly updater and there was no update required. On the lenses, the exterior of the lens closest to the body/mount seemed heavier on the previous version, less stout on the new. But that could just be the diff between chrome plated plastic and matte black plastic...

I prefer the look of the newer versions, but the previous might have felt better made. That's entirely UNscientific though. I DO appreciate that the Oly hoods still fit the newer versions.