New vs Old 40-150 f4-5.6

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jim Bennett, May 27, 2014.

1. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Jim Bennett
    Can anyone enlighten me on any differences between the older Olympus 40-150 and the newer "R" model? I ran into some references stating that they are the same optically, but possibly the newer model has faster focusing as well as quieter focusing for video use. And they also have different cosmetic appearances of course. I dont care much about how it looks, but if there are focus improvements then I would be interested in the newer model. I would be using this an on e-pm2 if that matters.

Thanks!

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you update both to the current firmware version (1.0 on R, 1.1 on non-R), they have identical focusing (speed, noise). There are no focusing improvements. Optics are identical.

3. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Jim Bennett
    Thanks much!

4. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Jim Bennett
    So I picked up a non-R version, connected it to the camera body, and started up the Olympus Digital Camera updater, and it says there is no firmware update available for the lens. The latest version shows as 1.0. This is definitely the older version, not the newer R model. Anyone run into this before?

Jim i-MHrPGPn-X2.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sorry, looks like I misspoke - it's the 14-42 II that needed the firmware update to match the R version. The 40-150 non-R doesn't need any updates - 1.0 is the latest version. They've got a page listing all the current firmware versions.

6. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Jim Bennett
    Thanks again ! Sharp lens too...pretty impressive for less than $100!