1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New video card....no output HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gyles, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Hi Guys,

Had my new PC up and running for a month now using the onboard graphics. Just purchased a 1gb Sapphire Radeon HD6450 card to free up some RAM and allow me to use multiple monitors. When installed I get no output at all, the PC boots fine but cannot see a thing. If remove the card, reboot I'll get the onboard graphics back.

I'm running win8.1...anyone?

2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    There can be a setting in the BIOS etc. where you define which graphics starts first onboard or external. Cannot give you exact details as it tends to be motherboard dependant.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Gyles, with the new card fitted, and the drivers installed (you haven't mentioned this bit) you say there is no output from the new card, but do you have output from your motherboard's port at that time?
    If so ... you can use Windows to dig around and find the problem.

4. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    No output from mobo with new card in place. Card works fine on another machine. Think its a mobo issue.

5. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    Any error lights on the graphics card itself?
    I've had this issue in the past. Diagnosed the error lights online and found out that my motherboard, while it had PCI-e, did not supply enough power to the PCI-e slot itself. Was surprising to me since I thought as long as my PSU was good, I'd be fine for power. But nope.
    My card was also a by Sapphire, so you likely have similar error lights to help you diagnose with.