1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New User

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marklikesit, Aug 8, 2012.

1. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the whole enthusiast photography scene. Just bought an Oly OM-D as a way to break into this wonderful hobby.

All the different things one can do with this camera is mind numbing. I've been spending the past 2 days reading up as much as possible on how to shoot in the different P, A and M modes.

However, the EVF still confuses me. Does anyone know of a good tutorial that can show a beginner what all the numbers on the EVF mean? There are some numbers next to the F-stop numbers that keep changing, I think that's the shutter speed or something?

I'd appreciate anyone's words of wisdom here. Cheers!

Mark

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! You made a great camera choice. I don't have an OM-D (yet!) but I suspect you are correct, it's the shutter speed that's changing. Hopefully someone else will chime in soon with more info. :biggrin:

3. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "All the different things one can do with this camera is mind numbing"

Don''t worry, once you start using the camera you won't use 99% of all that stuff! The problem is sorting it all out initially. Took me a couple of months with an EP3! :)

4. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

DP Review has a good overview of the OM-D. Their site is down right now, but check their main page.

I can suggest a couple of books that I think are great starting points. The first is "The Digital Photography Book, Vol. 1" by Scott Kelby. Great, to-the-point, tips on how to shoot a variety of situations. Each tip is one-two pages longs and a quick read. It speaks in generalities, so it will apply to any advanced camera, like the OM-D.

For a little better background on photography, I recommend "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. This one talks about the interplay between shutter speed, aperture and ISO to get a proper exposure, and how all three can change to give the same exposure, but with completely different results. This one will help you figure out whether to change aperture (Av), shutter speed (Tv) or ISO when you're trying to get a shot. Very well written.

Good luck, and have fun! Remember, the "film" and developing is free!

5. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Thanks so much of chiming in guys. I will definitely look into getting those books.

I understand the interplay between iso, f-stops and shutter speed but there's this separate exposure dial on the Olympus that's independent of the other 3 factors. I don't get this one.

Maybe someone can tell me this also: I see a 3", 5" for shutter speed. What does this mean?

I know if it says 50, it means 1/50th second. But sometimes I see double quotes on the readout screen. *puzzled*

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, Mark, and congratulations on the new camera.

The quotes are for full seconds.

7. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
  8. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Thanks Joe! Gonna do that right now!