New user in Maryland

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by slothead, Aug 14, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hello from Frederick, Maryland. I have just ordered an OM-D E-M5 and can't wait to get it in my hot little hands! I have heard and seen so much about this new camera that I am anxious to take it with me on my travels and record and share some beautiful images and video.

I am Tom Manson, a husband, father and grandfather and currently have a consulting engineering company which provides support to NASA, DOD, and private/commercial aerospace industry in the areas of Reliability, Safety and Quality Assurance. I am an ex-USAF member and have worked in the nuclear and space industries since 1979.

I started taking and developing pictures about 45 years ago with a box camera kit that my brother got me when I was in high school. I loved the technical challenges of light and chemistry and eventually graduated to a variety of SLRs including Yashica, Pentax, Olympus and others that I have forgotten. The expense of film, paper and chemicals started to become too much back in those days and the interest waned in the late 70s. That interest re-emerged with the advent of digital imaging and for the first time I jumped into the Nikon world.

After many thousands of dollars into the DSLR market on both cameras and glass, everything has just become so physically large that it began impacting my health. So I invested in the Nikon 1 V1 and have not been satisfied with that camera. I'm sure it is the perfect tool for some, but even with my late devotion to Nikon, I could not find a good use for the V1.

In the meantime I met a fellow photo club member that was shooting with us at the National zoo. He was shooting with the OM-D E-M5 and I was very impressed with the little device.

I took the big step (although not that big compared to Nikon standards) of ordering my own Oly OM-D E-M5. I should have it in a couple days and in the meantime will be anxious to learn about lenses and lens adapters that fit the Oly, as well as its strengths and limitations. I fully trust that users here will help me answer those questions.

2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    nice intro and welcome... this joint really jumps daddy-o.

3. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Virginia
    Welcome! New here myself, but already I've gotten a lot of useful info from the site.
    I'll be very interested to hear your impressions of the om-d. That's what I'm leaning towards.

4. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Welcome! We're almost neighbors.
    Enjoy your new camera.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I live in Towson and work for Hopkins. You mentioned a photo club... Could you talk about that a bit? I might be interested in joining.

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Nikon 1 strikes again.

Welcome to m4/3! Hope you'll be happy with that EM-5.

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the background! Hope you enjoy the camera and look forward to seeing your images.

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Very nice greetings all! I feel at home already! :)

Promit asked me to mention the "photo club." I'm actually a member of two clubs. One is the Central Maryland Photographers Guild, which meets the fourth Wednesday of each month at the Chapelgate Presbyterian Church in Marriottsville. The other club I belong to is the Frederick Camera Clique, which meets the second Wednesday of each month in the Delaplaine Visual Art Education Center in Frederick. But I also know that the Baltimore Camera Club is much closer to the Baltimore area if you're in town. Shoot me a PM if you would like any more info.

9. OldSchool

OldSchool New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2012
    Welcome, Tom. I am in Columbia and have been through similar experience in photography as you have. I used to work with both Nikon and Canon systems in the film world. I was in two camera clubs before coming to MD. I have just recently entered m4/3 format for the same reason as you cited. My engineering background makes me attracted to the equipment/technology side as much as to the photography itself. So I am doing a lot of research on cameras and lenses these days. I have learned the most on m4/3 system from this site than from any other online sources. Hope it will benefit you as well.
    Max