new ultimate camera strap setup :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HappyFish, Dec 14, 2012.

1. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    OK just put together my new setup and got to say its the greatest setup I have used for a single camera yet !!!!!
    so should say ultimate setup for what I wanted :) maybe not for everyone :)

hangs the way I want and I can still lift the camera up quite high without taking it off and when I want to it comes off super fast and goes back on just as fast also no real swinging all over the place so going down to fix a dress etc.. should not be a issue :) and walking between tables and people during the ceremony I can tell is going to be nicer cause I wont have to put that hand down to hold it behind me or from swinging :)

as the QD goes I got the stuff to convert my BR dual straps if I want which I think I will do so I can use the magpul or the BR with the same setup :) and be able to take off the camera just as quick if I want to carry just two on each side with the BR
    this is what I got for converting the BR straps and got them for the female part of the QD mostly
    the uncle mikes QD are OK but I might upgrade them to a nicer quality one but the female part seems OK
    going to order a magpul female part also to compare
    Amazon.com: BLACKHAWK! Push Button Detachable Swivels: Sports & Outdoors
    and
    the magpul sling comes in two models a mash clip and a QD
    SLINGS & SLING MOUNTS - MS3™ Single QD - Multi-Mission Sling
    is the one I have

so the QD setup is what I was looking for something I can take the camera off and put back on super quick and again the way the systems work is its meant to hold a rifle in the middle of your body and work all day long in combat so strength wont be a issue :)
    also it is meant to hold it in front of your body which I like you can swing it down to your side but the way they work they can stay in front of you ?
    now will it with a camera vs a rifle ? going to find out this Sat ;) so far playing around it seems to stay in front of me which also might make using the BR with two other cameras possible which might work well with my OMD hanging and two DSLR on each side on the BR setup :) or maybe go to a holster system and single camera ?
    but I just bought my BR dual so I am going to use it !!!!! hahhahaha but again I do like the dual strap setup for ceremony when I want both cameras instant at hand

did a super quick upside down iphone video :) so forgive the vertical look :) will do a better one later have some work to catch up on :)

QD for camera strap - YouTube

going to post some pics later also :)

I used to use optech straps and recently picked up the Black Rapid Dual setup which I do like but I do not like the hardware at all !!! seems like cheap junk
    also the hardware is slow to take on and off which for me is important when I need to get low or something !
    the downside to the BR is when you go down to adjust a dress or something your camera can hit the ground !
    I want to do some holster setup looking at peak design or spider
    this
    FS-PRO camera sling strap with F-1 foldable mounting plate by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store
    seems super cool but again the hardware seems a little slow to take on and off ?
    but it does do one think I need which is use a arca plate ! a must for me

the idea being a hybrid approach of strap and holster type setup is what I think I want but no matter what I am using I want it to not hit the ground and not slide off or around on me ! also did not want it bouncing around when moving quickly place to place

decided to get a new RRS plate for my OMD since my old generic one was a bit big and the new one with the grip fits perfect ! love it !!! and it has hand strap mounts if you want ! and install the female part of the QD on it and use the magpul strap !!! and have to say its about the best setup I have used yet

2. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    TLDR: Buy the three linked products, makes for a nice fast-detach camera strap.

3. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Magpul slings... Blackhawk QD swivels.... must be a fellow gun nut. :p

4. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Nice looking system, but for now, I'll stick with BlackRapid.

BlackRapid.com Home of The Original Camera Sling™

I had one of those QR's come off my 25-06 once; the button hit a rock projuction during a rappelling exercise. Fortunately, I caught the rifle, although, as in photography, the glass (scope) cost twice as much as the rifle did. On well, no harm to either rifle or sight; just my leadership judgment. Please noto, the QR was NOT a blackhawk; it was a special issue originally made for the university ROTC rifle team I belonged to (I had 2 OD and 2 chrome plated for our drill team).

I hope that Blackhawk release button requires several pounds to release or else has an auxiliary safety.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I DESPISE Sling Straps!!!!

I hate the way they always get close to the front of the neck; I have a very sensitive gag reflex, I can't wear ties or closed neck shirts either.

Black Rapid came up with a "solution" to this with their Sport 2 (that also goes under the arm), but what's the point of fixing a problem that wouldn't exist if I just used a NORMAL camera strap like I had been using for many decades!

6. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    hahahah yeah I have a few magpul and some LV slings also on some fun toys

also with the first round of the magpul straps the straps were thinner and my gear FF 1 series were way to heavy even the 5 series with L glass were to heavy
    a rifle is not so bad cause I always tend to have more than a tshirt on and the slings did not cut in
    but yikes just a shirt and the thinner strap not so nice !
    this new V3 is wider and more comfy !! might want to sell my old slings and get these new ones now for the rifles :)

7. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah funny when I saw BR first came out cause I thought one point sling ?

I just picked up a BR dual strap I think its the rs1 model or some name like that ? the one that is the wider figure all day shooting I want as much comfort as I can !!

the only thing I dont like is the hardware !!!
    maybe its being into diving so heavy I shot underwater for 15 years and taught scuba for the same time I was used to really nice hardware on my gear etc..

if you do not need to take your cameras on and off quickly ! the BR stuff I know is fine but that little spin the lock collar thing is not quick :)
    but often I want to take off a camera for a high or low shot and do not like when I get down my camera hits :) yikes :) hahahahahah

yeah the female part is the blackhawk stuff the other part of course magpul on the sling
    if I decide to keep the QD on the BR dual I am going to convert using the blackhawk QD male part after a few weddings see how I like it I am going to get some nicer ones like magpul or DD or something nice ?
    the blackhwak are not to bad but not like the magpul ones or some others I have felt they are on the cheap side of nice ! I think that make sense :) not junk but not top end but yes they do have a bit of push
    no way bumping anything in a wedding will knock it loose :)

I can see how hitting a rock just right with the rifle could hit it loose in repelling :) you should have bought a lottery ticket that day :)

and for sure the regular BR stuff is pretty cool
    that carry speed is also really cool setup to and can work with a spider holster ? so that is kinda cool to get dual use out of that ball thing it uses

8. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    You're right about the lottery ticket - except this was way before the lottery. Maybe a Keno ticket in Reno.

The really lucky part? We had just finished a class on conventional techniques and I was giving a short addendum on older (sans harness) rappelling in which a portion of the doubled rope crosses over the chest. I was in mid-air when the sling was knocked loose. If that rope had not kept the sling pressed against my chest, I would not have had time to catch the rifle as it slipped. I ended up with the sling wrapped around and tied to my web belt as I came down that last 75 feet - and, believe me, that last 10 feet was s-l-o-w! That was the LAST time I ever used a single stage QD on any strap, rifle, camera or ResQ bag. Now I know why they aren't used when lowering a Stokes. What is interesting is that an emergency rescue helocopter I saw a couple of years ago used a winch cable terminating in a quick snap (carabiner style) with a screw over clamping system that was the great grandaddy of the clip used the BlackRapid system.

9. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    well used at last nights wedding and it was AWESOME so so so comfy and was great to pop on and off etc.. :)

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have been looking for a good an inexpensive setup myself. Some of the systems out there look good but are expensive. I also don't like that most prevent quick and easy mounting to a tripod. Be interesting to see what you come up with!

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I got in on the Peak Design leash Kickstarter, I'll report back on that later. Not huge on slings, but I really like what Peak did with the Capture (it's my ultimate on the move solution - click camera to backpack strap, no dangling, and handstrap when shooting) so I'm very curious to see their implementation of a sling and quick release system that's compatible with arca-swiss plates/tripods...

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. I think the QD swivels are the best thing going right now, but if the Peak Design guys sell their QD device as a component its light weight might make it the winner. I use the Uncle Mike's version, which I think is about the lightest sling swivel out there.

HappyFish, one additional thing you will discover is that the QD allows you to have and use a variety of straps depending on the need. For example here are a few of mine: P1000825. I prefer to attach to the camera via pigtails on the strap lugs: IMG_20111227_125133. The photo shows a steel attachment but I also use nylon. Usually I will have just one pigtail and attach either a sling/glide type strap or a wrist strap, but I'll attach a second pigtail if I want to use a conventional style neck strap.

13. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Problem with Black Rapid is that it can chip the paint off the bottom of your camera, and the piece that screws into the camera worked loose once and I was out $300 for camera repairs. I use Carryspeed (without baseplate) now instead. This solves both problems for me.... By its nature the design can't chip the bottom of the camera, and it has a backup strap that I connect to the camera so if the main connection comes loose it will still not fall to the ground and break something.

14. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah the carry speed seems pretty sweet for sure :) and the fact if you use a spider holster it can do double duty with the one ball thing :)

15. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah the peak thing is cool and priced well
    my pro con would be I have to try one :) BUT having the thing not swivel being locked down to the strap ?

16. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    might be worth checking out a single point system ?
    I loved the way the camera stayed in front of me :)
    to funny on your pic of the femal QD on that stud cause I am going to take one and do a setup like that almost exact :) hahahaahaha

also the magpul strap can go from a single point to double and the mash hook fits on the triangle thing so if I ever wanted a more normal strap I could convert :) not sure I would but like the idea :)

also the way my base plate is on the RRS I got for my OMD the little harness thing or length of whatever I use to go to the female QD part could be changed from the stud to the strap spot on the bottom of my plate quickly

the one thing I did like was the female part being solid on the bottom was super fast to push the QD back in !

the little dongle idea you call pigtail :) I fear might be a bit slower as I would not be able to do it with one hand as easy ? but am going to try it
    I was going to make mine out of 400lb test fishing kevlar since I have worked with that before or something similar :)

as it is now I can hold the camera not change grip grab my strap and just pop it in no readjusting is needed or re gripping the camera

also the RRS plate does have the screw holes pre done so putting the female part on is easy :) and solid

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes, HappyFish, I think the choice of lug or base mounting is more a matter of personal taste in how the camera hangs, especially if you are not dealing with QR plates. I have plates on my bodies so the lug attachment works better for me. The reason the pigtails are a few inches in length is so that the hardware hangs below my hand when I'm shooting but with a base mount you get that automatically.

I have a female (a barrel, I call it) hard -mounted to my tripod as an attachment point for a pair of backpack type straps that let me easily carry the tripod on my back. It is definitely easy to engage the swivel in that situation.

But I think you'll be surprised at how easily the pigtail/dongle connection works with one hand. Basically you use two fingers to push the barrel onto the swivel while your thumb pushes against the button in opposition to the two fingers. Harder to explain in words than to do.

Not sure if that is a suggestion to me, but I strongly prefer the "glide" type system where I can raise the camera without the strap moving. I see no advantage to having the strap dragging on me when I raise the camera. That is the genius of the glide system. (An old idea BTW: US 1885 Carbine Sling)

Have fun experimenting!

18. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah the pigtail idea is a good one also I think having both depending on situations are whats best for each job person :)

I did edit my above I was going to make mine out of 400 lb fishing kevlar leader I used to work with some strong stuff and thin abrasive resistant etc..

yeah I know exactly what you mean by the two finger thing and for sure why I want to try it out :) I am a big believer in trying everything for ones self :) I used to have something like before on my 1 series cameras and using RRS L plates I would secure a dongle onto the bend part of the L plate worked awesome
    you use your first and second finger grab it like you would a cigarette (dont smoke) but you use that to hold it
    maybe like you would hold a syringe is a good example !

have to get a better pic but my plate has two slots on each side exactly like the slot on the bottom of the extra battery drive for a wrist slot since it has these slots on both sides what I was planning on using
    also was planning on making mine in a loop so I could quickly take on or off or move etc.

also thought of using one of the carry speed plates so I could use the arca plate or the button thing they use for their strap or the spider holster or my own setup :)

I just laughed when I saw your pigtail Dongle thing cause its pretty much what I was going to do :)
    there was a company that had those before some time ago for cameras ? forgot the name though :)

compared to my BR dual and my magpul single point
    the rise is no different really since the straps even on the slide style BR do raise a little bit because of the bottom mount the strap really does not lift much ? might have to do a video on a person for fun :)

comparing a single BR slide to my new magpul single setup I prefer the magpul since the camera is in front of me and walking in and out of guests and chairs etc.. I dont have to worry about pushing my camera behind me as much

but again not sure everyone has dif needs and mine are for when I am shooting weddings lugging gear all day long :)

I am trying to think of something like the dongle idea and having two of them on one strap since I tend to only be using one camera at a time and holding the others !
    when I had neck straps I was always wrapping them around my wrist/forearm :) hahahah

19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Luma Labs

That's where I stole the idea. They took their product off the market though because of a threat of litigation from Black Rapid. BR has what I think is a kind of bogus patent. There was plenty of prior art to show that the BR idea was not novel. That fact and maybe $50K, though, is what you would need to challenge the patent. That's a lot of strap sales.

20. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    YUP thats the company !!!

the whole BR thing makes me laugh cause IMHO they copied the idea of a one point rifle sling in many ways ?

so yeah like you I think its a bogus patent