1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kanasgowatom, Jan 14, 2012.

1. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    I had been lookin for a new tripod for my PL3 system. I enjoy a tripod that comes up to my eye level, I am a mere, 5' 08" tall, without a great deal of weight. Well I could not find anything to meet my criteria, any lightweight tripod, that I found, had a maximum height of three feet. So I kicked up my minimum weight holding power, to get the height I wanted. I decided on an Oben tripod, I never heard of them either. Well Inordered from B&H, and am quite pleased. Itbis heavenly,,about five pounds, but has the reach I wanted. The center column rotates, to allow any combinations of camera position, including macro. It has adjustable feet, to get the trod perfectly level, and, of course, multi positional legs. I have never heardvofbthis brand befor, but I'll tell you, it is hitting out of the park home runs. Last but not least, the price is so reasonable, I feel I should be wearing a mask, the price is almost criminal. It seems to possess the same build quality as my recently sold( for a steal) Manfrotto. I think the established names in thevworld of photography had better be aware of the pack behind them.

kanasgowatom

• Like Like x 1
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had not heard of Oben before I started shopping for a new tripod a month or so ago. I could not find a website for them and looking at the designs I would say they are made in Asia someplace , Taiwan? S. Korea? Glad to know that the quality is fairly good.
    I know a lot of people who push the super expensive heads and legs, for instance Really Right Stuff. They had better be nice for the price! If I were a pro or using the sticks every day{or close to every day} it might be worth it , might?
    Just recently I found the products from a South Korean company called HorusBennu. Looks to be very good quality from the pictures and the few reviews I could find but still very affordable. They have a website but no english translation.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Speed...the more expensive stuff like rrs, gitzo, and others (i use a photo clam head and fiesol legs, previously had gitzo legs) most definitely are worth the added expense if you know you'll use them! The quality and machining are top notch and are the kind of purchases that will only need to be done once if you get it right the first time.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Oben is a captive brand of B&H. Most likely made in China in a factory that makes similar tripods under different names for different companies. I considered an Oben, but couldn't find one that matched my size / weight goals and had a two-way head to allow panning. I ended up with a Benro that I'm quite happy with.

5. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Benro

My wife has a Benro, and it is a perfect ringer for a Gitzo.

kanasgowatom

6. speedandstyle

I have seen and even used some very nice sticks and heads and yes they are better, just not as much better as they are expensive. The cost is worth it if you are a pro making a living off them and using them constantly but not for the average amateur.

At least photography gear is no where as ridiculous as cinema gear!:doh:

7. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Not quite perfect. But close. Both are very good tripods.

I have both Gitzo and Benro tripods, and the Gitzo is better. Slight differences in fit, finish and function that make the Gitzo a lot more seamless to use in the field. That said, the Benro is half the price and is adequate (more than adequate if you do not compare it to the Gitzo). Is the extra expense for the Gitzo worth it? If you are going to use the tripod extensively, then I believe it is. If you do not want to spend the money, or can't quite afford the Gitzo, the Benro will do the job, and probably do it better than a lot of other tripods. It will just never do it quite like the Gitzo would. :smile:

P.S. I don't believe that line about "if you're a pro, it's worth it". Most pros that I know are very cost-conscious! We have to be, we're trying to make a profit at the end of the day. So it took quite a bit of soul-searching for me to spend the money on the Gitzo initially. I have never regretted that decision. If you're a frequent tripod user, the extra expense of the Gitzo is money well spent, whether you are a professional or amateur.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is the one I recently found from Manfrotto, for only $100...
    MANFROTTO COMPACT TRIPOD W/PISTOL GRIP BLACK MKC3-H01

It doesn't have a removable head, but instead has an integrated pistol grip ball head with a switch to lock movement for video or to release movement to portrait orientation for photos, using a large rubber wheel to control lock friction on the pistol grip.

It's a very affordable compact all-in-one solution which still retains Manfrotto build quality. That brand name is important when you shoot video and need a fluid head.

9. speedandstyle

Manfrotto builds good stuff that is fairly affordable. I use and have used many of their products and will continue to do so. However in the video world Manfrotto is the bottom rung in heads and sticks. The best brands for fluid heads are Miller, Cartoni and Sachtler. Some of these heads are $5k!{even more for the full on cinema ones}. I have used some of them and they are great! But not that much better than the Manfrotto 500 series heads , certainly not $4000 better{the most expensive Manfrotto head is about $1000}.