New toys: Samyang 7.5/3.5 and Tokina 300/6.3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Laurentiu Cristofor, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Just received two lenses I had my eye on for a while. No samples yet, too late for that, just some quick impressions:

Samyang 7.5/3.5

Nice and small. A better aperture ring than the SLR version. Focuses *extremely* close - down to 9cm. Looks very sharp; even at close focusing distance and wide open, it looked sharp in borders. At close distances DOF is very small. Not quite what you'd expect to see together - thin DOF and fisheye, but this lens gives you that. Mount is metal, with barrel and hood made from plastic. A pouch was included.

Tokina 300/6.3

This lens is as nice feeling as it looks in photos. Body is made of metal. Hood is plastic with bayonet part using metal. The hood can be mounted reversed, so it makes a small package. It focuses down to 80cm, which is quite close for its focal length. Looks sharp too at close distances. Seems sharp at long distances as well, but I didn't had time to set a tripod and light is too low to check. The greatest surprise was that the mount has electric contacts - I expected it to have no contacts, like the Samyang and Voigtlander lenses. This means focus aid is enabled with this lens and that is a very good thing for such a long focal.

Will post some samples in the image archive once I get some time to take these out. I knew the Samyang was a great lens from reviews, but I didn't pay attention to how close it can focus. And I expected good things from the Tokina, but I was surprised by the presence of contacts. It also looks very sharp, but then I would expect a modern mirror from a top manufacturer to be a notch above my old classic ones.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Post pictures from the Tokina, I'd love to see samples.

3. Laurentiu Cristofor

Mar 9, 2012
    Will post them as soon as I get something - will probably happen over the weekend.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for sharing these impressions! I too would love to see some samples from the Tokina.

5. Laurentiu Cristofor

Mar 9, 2012
    I will take the Tokina out this afternoon. I used the Samyang yesterday and it is excellent. Just posted some samples here. Lovely little lens.

6. Laurentiu Cristofor

Mar 9, 2012
    Just posted a couple of samples from the Tokina in this new thread.