1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new tough TG-870

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jcm5, Jan 5, 2016.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    For something different, in light of the Panny/Oly lenses out this week: a slightly improved tough series from Oly.

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It's a very nice camera, and one I seriously considered when I was in the market (the older model, obviously haha...however, ended up buying a GoPro, like so many other people)...I just can't bring myself to buy a compact with an f3.5-5.7 lens and no manual mode. On the plus side...21-105mm is an awesome range!

3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
  4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    My TG-850 is my beach camera, and the slow lens is fine for daylight.

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Fair enough, and that's great if it works for you...I'm just thinking that since there's already significantly less light underwater, a slow lens is a big detriment to anyone who's buying one of these for diving/snorkeling. (Which is why I was looking at it).

6. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    out of curiosity, which GoPro did you end up buying? I'm also looking for some rugged options apart from regular OMD that I own, and haven't been able to decide on one

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I ended up buying the Hero4 Silver. I really wanted a screen, and this is the only GoPro that has a built-in screen (you can do everything with the three buttons on the regular GoPro - as you can on the H4S -, but having a tiny little touch screen for blazing through menus and framing shots makes the GoPro experience a thousand times better!) For all others, it's a $70 add-on, which makes it more bulky and more expensive. The combination of the screen, excellent video capabilities and awesome time lapse functions made it the perfect camera for me. I don't really need 4K, I think my camera will do 2.7k, but I usually just record on 1080/60 anyways...it's good enough for what I do, and doesn't eat up all my cards in an afternoon.

The only other cameras that I was seriously considering after looking at dozens of them were the Sony options. Sony had two very good cameras (AS100V and AZ1) on the market. They're both cool designs that don't need a dive case to be splash/dust proof (but do need the case for being submerged) and, very importantly, feature image stabilization! Neither has a screen, but they are both available with cool wrist-mounted remote screens that can be had fairly cheap if you buy them together in a package. Sadly, the AS100V had a really bad time lapse function (it was there, just not as good as I'd have liked it to be...but if that's not an important function for you, then it's well worth considering). The AZ1 was weird...it was the PERFECT camera. I wanted it. It's tiny, it's unique, it's splash/dustrpoof without a bulky case, etc...BUT...GoPro figured out years and years ago that you have to put a flat glass on the dive case. Sony didn't learn from that. They put a curved one on the AS100V and it completely ruined the image quality. So...they came out with a flat replacement glass and it solved the problem. Then they came out with the AZ1 and...wait for it...they put a curved front door on the dive housing and ruined the image quality. At the time I bought my GoPro (about a year ago) there were no plans to make a flat front for the AZ1, so I gave up on that. Now Sony has a new 4K action cam of the same family (called the X1000V) that I don't know much about.

8. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    oh wow, thank you for that thorough response; I've also been considering the Hero4 Silver, looks very nice

• Like Like x 1
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    You're very welcome...I hope it helped. :)

I went into the action cam buying experience with one goal in mind: To buy something OTHER than a GoPro...simply because I think they're overpriced (I mean an OM-D E-M5 with a 12-50 is cheaper than a H4S...I refuse to believe that that makes sense haha) and everyone has them. And I still ended up with GP, so that should tell you how good it is. ;) No regrets...I just got a cool home-made panning timer (for time lapse videos) for Christmas and a head/helmet mount for my birthday, and I can't wait to use it more in the future!! :)

If you have any further questions, fire away.

OP: Sorry for your thread going off-topic!

10. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    Another option is the GoPro Hero+ LCD

11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It is, but like I said in my original post, I'm not a fan of the fact that it makes the GoPro that much bulkier and that it costs another $70 or so on top of the GoPro's purchase price. I like that in the H4S, it's all part of a neat package, and still fits in a standard dive housing! :)

12. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I was pertaining to the model "GoPro Hero+ LCD" not a GoPro + the LCD. :)

GoPro HERO+ LCD CHDHB-101 B&H Photo Video

It's still cheaper than the Silver so it's another option for people who want an integrated LCD.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Gotcha!

Yes, that's another option for sure...you're right it's cheaper...I think it uses older Hero3 or Hero3+ hardware, right?