new to video software, need suggestions....

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by Taurahe, May 30, 2016.

1. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    I am wanting to start playing around with video and video editing and I am looking for some suggestions on easy to use software. I have creative cloud , so premier pro is an option, but something easier to use would be much appreciated. 4k capability is preferred, but not necessary. I will be shooting with the Panasonic G7 if it makes a difference.
  2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Go with elements so you can transfer your learning to PRO later.
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    You don't mention whether you are on mac or PC

I'm from a Mac background, and Final Cut is my tool of choice, though iMovie is also a good place to start.

Regardless of platform there are some good free apps out there... maybe not easiest to learn, but should give you grounding in editing as well as some other more complex things

I would check out

HitFilm 4 Express - Free video software -

DaVinci resolve from Blackmagic

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

4. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

For PCs, consider ACDSee Video Studio: ACD Systems - Photo Editing Management Software

I have found, that for me, it is an excellent combination of reasonably sophisticated features, ease of use, and LOW price. I'm not a heavy videographer, but I'm producing still photo tutorials and want to move to video tutorials. I bought TechSmith's 'Snagit' which allows for pretty sophisticated still and video screen captures, and it's great, but the built in editor is pretty much for stills only. TechSmith also sells the highly rated Camista video editor, but it costs $200 USD.

I looked at some Chinese made freebies, but they had little documentation, were pretty complex, and every update created stress in that I never knew what sort of 'extra' software would get installed. And there were 'updates' at least every month!

Video Studio has been great, it costs $60 list price but is frequently sold at discount. And it has most of the features of Camista (at least the ones I'm interested in)