New to using adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by rwisem, Jun 20, 2012.

1. rwisem

rwisem Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Sequim, Washington, USA
    Roger Wiseman
    I shot Konica T cameras for decades and have several legacy lenses in great condition. Any day now, I expect to receive an adapter to use them on my new E-pm1. I am anxious to try this out, and have been researching the use.

I understand focusing will be manual and know how to do that with my camera. I surmise I will need to shoot in A mode, setting the camera to the aperture I set the lens at.

On one post, I saw a reference to setting the camera to trip the shutter without a lens attached as the camera will not recognize a non-system lens. I cannot find a control in my menu to do this. Can someone help me?

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I think that reference was to Panasonic cameras, on an Oly you don't have to set anything to have it shoot with legacy lenses.

And you will only adjust the aperture on the lens, no way to set it on the camera. When shooting in A mode with a legacy lens, the camera will meter through your chosen aperture and set the shutter (and ISO, if you have that on auto).

If you haven't activated the Super Control Panel yet, look up how to do so right away! It's amazingly helpful.

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The shoot without lens setting is only on Panasonic bodies, you don't need it.

With the camera set to aperture priority all you need to do is set the aperture on the lens, no additional setting on the camera is needed unless you need to dial in some exposure compensation.

Have fun with your old lenses!

Fred

Edit: Looks like fin beat me!

4. rwisem

rwisem Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Sequim, Washington, USA
    Roger Wiseman
    Thanks Fin and Fred

For the prompt replies. I knew I could get my question answered! I do have the SCP enabled and it is fantastic.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Two pieces of advice for using manual lenses on the E-PM1 would be: 1) Set your Record button to the Magnifier. This is a wonderful focus assist tool for fine tuning your focus, and 2) buy a VF-2 (preferrably) or VF-3 viewfinder. There are times when you don't have time to fine tune with the Magnifier. The VF-2 view is crisp enough to focus manually without zooming in just like on your old optical viewfinders, for when you need to capture those action shots or moving subjects. Also, the LCD may become washed out in bright light. The EVF will solve this problem as well.

One of the things you'll love about using manual lenses on this system is that your view is always compensated for brightness to show the view you'll get in the photo. Therefore, you will now be able to set a stopped down aperture and still see what you're doing without the screen going all dark like on an SLR with non-native lenses. You don't have to go wide open to focus and compose and stop down just before shooting... Although this method will still give you more accurate focus. Also, you see not only live exposure bit also live color balance. Your photo will be just as you see on the screen or EVF.

6. Put the camera in P mode rather than A mode. In A mode you'll just have a useless control dial, whereas in P mode you should be able to assign exposure compensation directly to the control dial without needing an additional button press to use it.

7. rwisem

rwisem Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Sequim, Washington, USA
    Roger Wiseman
    More good info! I have been paying attention to the discussions here. I have my movie button set to magnify and have a VF-2 on order. The tip about shooting in P is great. I like adjusting the exposure with the dial. Now I'm even more excited to try this!

8. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Don't forget that the IS in your camera must be set for the FL of the lens as well...one of the benefits of the Oly bodies.