New to thread...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by jaegr, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Hi all..just picked up a new Panasonic G5....thought I may take a class in learning all it has to offer..anyone have any ideas in the NY/LI area? thanks much!

2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Save your money and buy a good prime lens!

Download the users manual in PDF form (easier to read, jump to pages)

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCG5.PDF

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCG5_ADV.PDF

Then follow along with the manual with the camera in your hands.

If you get stuck on something, ask here- we are willing to help.

Have fun!

BTW- if you *really* are uncomfortable.. like your handling a Claymore Mine.. then...

Check out the $49 Basic course at Unique Photo (Near Clifton NJ)

Unique University at Unique Photo

• Like Like x 1
  3. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    thanks much....yes i already plan to get a good lens, deciding between a leica or a zuiko 45mm...

4. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    My two favorites.. and the Sigma's ain't half bad, either.

5. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    had a Sigma for my good old Canon AE1...have heard the leica is very slow on the panasonic? for a first lens on this camera, would you recommend one over the other?

6. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    1st choice 25mm PL 1.4

2nd Sigma 30mm 2.8

3rd Panny 20 mm 1.7

That would be a typical prime focal length to get going...

OR- 12-50 Oly kit lens.. versatile but not as sharp.

7. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    My favourite is the 45mm oly but I love taking portraits. Another great cheap prime is the 14mm Panny, which is a great little pancake lens and is around $170 shipped on eBay.

Sent using my phone. Excuse any autocorrect

• Like Like x 1
  8. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks much. Here's a stupid question.....if I get the oly 45, what is the benefit of this lens?

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's actually a great question. The 45 is good for portraits, the fast aperture (f1.8) allows you to blur the background. It also makes it easier to shoot in low light without flash. The lens is good quality and very sharp, focus is quick and quiet which works well for video.
    The 14mm is also a great walk around lens, very small and a nice focal length. :cool:

10. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    guess it's true that there's no such thing as a stupid question! I know I'll get overwhelmed by all the lenses...as I did with my old Canon..I have purchased the OLY 45....I do a lot of traveling and will be using it for more scenery/landscape photos....what other lenses would you more knowledgeable folks recommend?? would love a leica but not sure it's in the budget!::cool:

11. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    What type of things do you like taking photos of? The reason I love my 45mm so much is that I absolutely love taking photos of people. You should check out the 45mm image thread on this forum, it shows a great spread of the capabilities of this lens. Its quick, it renders colours beautifully, has fantastic bokeh, and I find it very sharp and great value for money.

By Leica lens do you mean an adapted Leica, or the 25mm Panasonic Leica?

There are a great number of lenses available for the system and each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Getting a prime like the 12mm, 25mm, and the 45mm means that it has a fixed focal length -i.e the field of view will always be the same. It means that you "zoom with your feet" instead of staying in one spot and zooming with the lens. A 12mm is a wider view, where as a 45mm is closer view (and hence generally referred to as a "portrait" lens).

There are also a great number of zoom lenses available that make a great "All round" lens - this is also true for some primes, as people consider them Walk around lenses (the 20mm f1.7 by panasonic has an almost cult following).

You should just wack on the kit lens and walk around and see what focal lengths and lighting conditions you gravitate towards :)

You also mention that you do a lot of travelling! For landscape or scenery work I would recommend getting a wider lens, as the 45mm is very "close".

Sorry if this is too much information! If you need anything further explained I will try.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    wow you guys are great!! so glad i found this site while searching for a new camera bag!!! I will digest this info over the weekend, and I'm sure I'll have more questions!!:biggrin:

13. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I just received the Oly 45, and I love how crisp and sharp it is. I have to admit I am used to using a zoom to walk around with, not used to a lens not moving! Not wanting to spend $900, can anyone recommend a good zoom (besides the 14-42 lens that came with the G5) in addition to 45 just received? thanks for all the help, I plan on taking the advice and sitting in front of the computer with camera in hand and going through the manual. Lots to learn on this but looking forward to it!

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    What are you looking for in a new zoom that the 14-42 doesn't give you? Smaller zoom? Longer reach? Wider? Better in low light? There's no lens that does it all, so we need more info to advise you.

15. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you Amin for the quick reply! I guess I have to say I'm not sure. and yes no lens does it all, at least not yet! Would like a lens if possible to be able to take nice macro pictures (not really into portraits but do photograph a lot of close up flowers, etc while traveling), as well as nice landscape pics. Guess I'm still programmed to my old 50-200 zoom from old Canon AE1!!

16. jaegr

jaegr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Loving the Oly 45, have new question....how do you keep the screen clean?? so frustrating to have to keep cleaning it...do you all recommend a screen such as on a smartphone? will that hinder using it?

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have a Zagg screen protector on my E-P3 and have no problems with the touch screen, it works very well. Actually, I was surprised at how useful the touchscreen really could be. :biggrin: