1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to this, Got a few questions.

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Effuse, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Effuse

Effuse Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Hey, So I've been becoming increasingly more interested in giving some Astrophotography a shot, Especially considering I live in a very rural area with very little light pollution but I have a few questions.

I know that generally speaking the wider lenses are preferred for Astro work but I sadly don't have anything that wide, Widest I have is the 20mm F1.7 Panny, Will this be wide enough to get some decent shots?

And secondly what sort of aperture and shutter speed am I looking at for giving this a shot? Just trying to get into the right ballpark to save some time when I get a day to set up a shoot. I was wanting to try some shots with and without star trails.

2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    What body are you shooting with?

3. Effuse

Effuse Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Ahh sorry, Forget to include that. I'm shooting with an E-M10.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, to avoid star trails with your 20mm lens, you'd want to shoot 12 seconds or less.
    (See How to Avoid Star Trails by Following the '500 Rule' and use 40mm equivalent in the calculation.)

Aperture should be as wide as possible while still giving a sharp image. The actual number will depend on the lens' characteristics; I don't have that lens so I'll let someone else be more specific.

Barry

5. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Just go outside and try it! It's not too hard, and getting the settings dialed is all a part of the fun. Something like f1.7, 10s, iso 1600 should be ballpark. I often end up underexposing a bit and then bump the exposure in post, though maybe I should do it opposite. You may need to stop down a little if sharpness isn't to your liking or if you get to much aberrations on the stars. There's no such thing as "wide enough", you can get cool astro shots anywhere from 5mm to 500mm. It will just be a different shot.

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Shot with my epm2 and 20mm back in 2013 (I think the only time I've used that lens for astro type work
    200 iso 8s exposure of the Pan-Starrs Comet overlooking Lake Michigan. What's nice about the 20mm for this type of work is that you can get a nicely framed foreground.
    P3170075-20130317-X2.

• Like Like x 4